300mm Question AFS, AF, AFI, F4, Night Games, etc...

Ok, so my 300mm 2.8 VR is lost in the Nikon factory somewhere. I need 300mm.

So I have a 70-200mm and I know I can get a 1.4x but.....How does F4 do for night games? High School, badly lit fields. I know it will be fine for day games. I would rather not do the TC 1.4 because I want 2 lenses.

I have another option, a 300 F4. There is one for sale at a camera shop in town. BUT....my same question, how does F4 work for night games?
I wouldn't mind having a 300 f4

Now the last question.

How well is the old Nikon 300mm AF/AFI? I hear they are slow, I love AFS. I have found a couple old AF/AFI 300mm 2.8's all around $2000.

I know I can live with just my 70-200mm till the 300 gets here. I'm can get almost anywhere on the field, so I can get close.

Thanks. Examples or other ideas will be appreciated

F4 isn't going to cut it at badly lit HS stadiums. I am shooting the 300 ED AF, and it is slower than the AFS and VR versions, but it is more than fine on the D2H(s), and still good on the D200 and D300. In other words, it isn't going to make you miss any shots. There have been a few around here for less than $2,000. Bang for the buck it is a great lens and give up very little if any optically to the AFS and VR lens.

You could look for a 2nd-hand 300 2.8 AF-S rather than the new VR ?

I looked and just got one. You might find one in the range of $2500 to $3200.

"Slow is as slow does" when it comes to the older AF, if you can anticipate the play it's plenty fast enough (and much cheaper too
icon12.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
).

Last edited by a moderator:
F4 isn't going to cut it at badly lit HS stadiums. I am shooting the 300 ED AF, and it is slower than the AFS and VR versions, but it is more than fine on the D2H(s), and still good on the D200 and D300. In other words, it isn't going to make you miss any shots. There have been a few around here for less than $2,000. Bang for the buck it is a great lens and give up very little if any optically to the AFS and VR lens.

You could look for a 2nd-hand 300 2.8 AF-S rather than the new VR ?

I looked and just got one. You might find one in the range of $2500 to $3200.

Thanks guys. I kinda knew the F4 wouldn't cut it. I've shot some night games with my 70-200 and a borrowed 300 2.8 and never even thought to try f4. I only use 2.8.

Well I think the AF/AFI lens will do for now.

Darren, I have looked for those too. Little harder to find.

I'm thinking I'll cancel my order and just get a cheaper 300 2.8 and get saving for the 400 2.8 :biggrin:

"Slow is as slow does" when it comes to the older AF, if you can anticipate the play it's plenty fast enough (and much cheaper too
icon12.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
).

So kinda like the difference between my 60mm AFD and the new 60mm AFS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom