300mm Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by gbenic, Jul 2, 2005.

1. I am currently re-evaluating my lens needs. I was going to get the baby VR, but started thinking that perhaps I should get a 50mm, 85 or 105mm, and a 300mm. Since the 50mm is only around $100, that one is in the bag. The 85 or 105 will wait. My question is about the 300mm. I am looking at used lenses. Could someone tell me would all of my metering and what-not work with my D70 if I were to purchase a Nikon 300 F4 Ed (if) Af? Also, what is the quality of this lens? I would be using it for wildlife shots.

Thanks.

2. kengo

kengo Guest

For the D70, pretty much all AF Nikkors will work, metering and focusing.

You will lose 3D matrix flash metering, if you use a non-D lens.

All Ai and Ai-s manual lenses will mount in the D70, but of course no AF but also no metering.

3. Thanks. I will look into the 3D flash metering. I am not sure what that is. If that means that I will need to use spot or center with a flash, that's not a problem.

I did a lot of searching on the forum and found that most people like the 300 F4. It will probably be used either hand-held or with a monopod. I hope that at almost 9" this is manageable.

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I think ona d70 body you want to make sure you get the AF-S model.

5. Thanks, I'll do that. What does the S signify?

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    S means silent wave focusing motor
    Here is how it works as far as I understand

an AF or AF-D lens will use your camera bodies screw to focus the lens. This is noisy and on a prosumer body like the D70 slow (because the D70 uses Cam900),
    on a pro body with CAM 2000 like the d2h, this is less of an issue, but with your D-70 since it has a very weak focusing screw, if you want to track fast moving subject you want an AF-S lens for sure. The silent wave focusing motor is built into the lens, is quiet and much faster than an AF lens.

Basically buying an AF-S lens removes a lot of the focusing responsibility from the body, which is what you want with a CAM900 body.