300mm Question

I am currently re-evaluating my lens needs. I was going to get the baby VR, but started thinking that perhaps I should get a 50mm, 85 or 105mm, and a 300mm. Since the 50mm is only around $100, that one is in the bag. The 85 or 105 will wait. My question is about the 300mm. I am looking at used lenses. Could someone tell me would all of my metering and what-not work with my D70 if I were to purchase a Nikon 300 F4 Ed (if) Af? Also, what is the quality of this lens? I would be using it for wildlife shots.

Thanks.

K

kengo

For the D70, pretty much all AF Nikkors will work, metering and focusing.

You will lose 3D matrix flash metering, if you use a non-D lens.

All Ai and Ai-s manual lenses will mount in the D70, but of course no AF but also no metering.

kengo said:
For the D70, pretty much all AF Nikkors will work, metering and focusing.

You will lose 3D matrix flash metering, if you use a non-D lens.

All Ai and Ai-s manual lenses will mount in the D70, but of course no AF but also no metering.
Thanks. I will look into the 3D flash metering. I am not sure what that is. If that means that I will need to use spot or center with a flash, that's not a problem.

I did a lot of searching on the forum and found that most people like the 300 F4. It will probably be used either hand-held or with a monopod. I hope that at almost 9" this is manageable.

I think ona d70 body you want to make sure you get the AF-S model.

S means silent wave focusing motor
Here is how it works as far as I understand

an AF or AF-D lens will use your camera bodies screw to focus the lens. This is noisy and on a prosumer body like the D70 slow (because the D70 uses Cam900),
on a pro body with CAM 2000 like the d2h, this is less of an issue, but with your D-70 since it has a very weak focusing screw, if you want to track fast moving subject you want an AF-S lens for sure. The silent wave focusing motor is built into the lens, is quiet and much faster than an AF lens.

Basically buying an AF-S lens removes a lot of the focusing responsibility from the body, which is what you want with a CAM900 body.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom