30mm f1.4 Sigma

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Dave Rosser, Jun 13, 2005.

1. The only info I can find on this lens is what is on the Sigma UK web site and a street price of £290. The Sigma web site gives an MTF curve for the lens at full aperture which shows it to be good in the center but very soft in the corners (only 50% contrast at 10 lppmm).
    Has anyone seen an independent test of this lens yet? If the corners sharpen up at f2 it might be a quite usable lens but not otherwise.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Rather than describing the MTF curve I could have included a link to it, here it is (green is 30 lppmm red is 10 lppmm, dotted and full lines are for meridional and sagittal respectively).
    [​IMG]
    As you suggest it looks like wait until there have been a few tests carried out, I still have my 50mm F1.4 AI'd (really that old) if I want to take pictures of black cats in coal cellars :lol:

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Interesting the Sigma is sharper in the middle of the field but a lot worse towards the edges and corners (from about 8mm out)

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Depending on your intended use a bit of corner softness may not be a big deal, epsecially if that portion of the frame is out of focus anyway.

It will be interesting to see how much better it gets stopped down a bit. If things improve significantly at f/2.0 that would be fine by me considering the price.

7. Are these test taking into account full or APS frame? Wouldn't that make a difference in quality?

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's an APS-only lens, so I doubt they tested on a full-frame body. Unless you're talking about the 28 1.4 Nikkor which I'm sure was tested full-frame and would have even more advantage on a APS sensor.

9. When the chart ends at 15 it means it's for aps sensors. When it ends at 25 it's for full frame :)

10. More info

The release is reported on or about June 25, 2005. Street price is reported to be whopping $450 USD. However, amazon.com that was taking preorders at that price (as well as adorama), have now dropped the preorder price to $390 with free shipping (delivery date reported to be on or about July 15, 2005). I am not the least bit concerned about the mtf data as it is wide open. For my intended usage of full length portraits, I desire less frame edge sharpness at those apertures as long as the bokeh is pleasing. In addition, I predict it will sharpen up nicely in the corners when stopped down for landscape and all purpose usages anyway. What is somewhat concerning to me is the minimum focus distance of 40 inches. But, with the promise of fast af and full time manual override, I already sold my 50 f/1.4 (can you believe for $250 on ebay). If this lens does not deliver, I can always buy an new 50 for almost no loss.

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Are you sure about that 40 inch min focus distance? Adorama web site says it's 40cm, or 15.7".

12. Good catch being Canadian and living in the States sometimes I misquote my measurement units. 40 cm is accurate (which is troublesome for me - 40 inches would be a dealbreaker).

13. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Another frequent criticism of Sigma glass is the apparent color cast to some of their lenses (yellow seems to be the most common). I have their 15-30 and it is an excellent lens, which leads me to believe this new one could be a winner although I would seriously doubt that it is going to be in the same league as the very expensive nikkor 28/1.4.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Here's what Shutterbug magazine had to say:
    [​IMG]
    Check the 'Estimated Street Price'!

15. Shutterbug's estimated street price, if accurate, is fantastic. The sigma Japan website indicates that the lens incorporates both SLD and ELD elements.

16. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't get your hopes up about the $259 street price, I'm betting that retailers offering the lens for pre-order now have a better idea of pricing than Shutterbug did a few months ago when that article went to press. I'd love to be wrong though, at $259 I'd probably snap one up without even waiting for reviews.

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Me too Jeff. $260 would make it an impulse buy for me.

18. If it's good at F/2 I'll get one just to replace my 50 f/1.8!

19. I've had mine on preorder from amazon for almost two months - with free shipping it comes out almost $100 cheaper - so I'll give it another week before I cancel and order from B&H. Funny enough, Amazon was first to ship the Canon mount, so I fully expect (hope) it to be shipped by weeks end. I will be sure and post some "real life" examples when I get my grubby hands on one (I'll leave shooting the brick walls to someone else who is willing).