313,000 mile Corvette

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Jim Strathearn, Nov 13, 2005.

1. My '85 Corvette was recently photographed for Corvette Enthusiast magazine. It's not a special or rare car by any means, but I've racked up over 313K miles on her and she just keeps on going. (Still runs a 14 second 1/4 mile on the original engine!) Anyway, after seeing the photographer position the car for his photographs, I thought I'd give it a shot on my own. BTW, the photographer/editor is a friend of mine and I loaned him my 80-200 f/2.8 for the day. He shot mine and a few other cars w/it. I liked the look and decided to use it for this. D70, 80-200 at 145mm, f/16, 5 second exposure. In camera NR on.

I did this at night in a shopping mall parking lot. I didn't really see the guard rail until I got home and looked at the images. But I did like the lighting on the tree in its fall colors.

Please give me an honest C&C of this shot.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi jim-

that's a very clean car for 313k. you made a good choice in picking a tele range, i've found that cars look better using a tele than a wide lens.

a few things, you shot at night but didn't turn on the car's lights. the only reasons for shooting at night are to show off the car's lights, or to show off something in the background that lights up at night. parking lot lights are really not the best lighting source for car photos (for any photos for that matter), notice the bright spots on your car and the green cast on the upper part of the body.

you've also stopped down quite a bit, bringing the background into sharp focus. the 80-200mm (i still miss that lens) also works best from around f/4~f/8. not only do you have the guardrail in the background cutting across the car, the trees are growing from the top of the car. using a larger aperture would have helped with the trees, but probably not with the guardrail.

some suggestions for your next car shot:
    1. stick with the lens, maybe try it at 200mm, and open it up to f/8.
    2. pick a better setting. a mall parking lot isn't ideal :wink:
    3. shoot at sunset, preferably right after the sun sets when there's a golden glow in the sky.

hope this helps.

ricky

3. Thanks Ricky. I'll try your suggestions.

BTW, the shot I was looking for was "the last car at the last cruise-in of the season". Around here we typically go to shopping centers and "cruise". I did take a few shots w/o the tree in the background but thought they looked sort of plain. It was dark and all you could see was some random lighting, etc. I used f/16 to ensure that the whole car was in focus but as you mentioned, I overdid it. F/8 would have been fine...

Thanks again!

4. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I think the biggest improvement that could be made is to drop the parking lot setting, or if you must, find a spot that will not have the guardrail in the background.

Way to go on the long life of the car, and a sweet ride it is too. :biggrin:

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Reworked

Hi Jim

Great car - looks a beauty.

Hope you dont mind but I just love cars - re-worked for fun.

Here is. (If you prefer I will remove immediately)

Best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

6. That's pretty cool Ray! I don't mind at all...