35 1.8 - Reasonably priced again

I would have liked to seen better communication from Nikon from all of this. Nothing was even mentioned in my outdoor photography magazine which surprised me. Reading the magazine one would think nothing has happened.

How much of the rush sales was caused from panic?

I would have liked to seen better communication from Nikon from all of this. Nothing was even mentioned in my outdoor photography magazine which surprised me. Reading the magazine one would think nothing has happened.

Maybe it was a poor job on reporting from your Outdoor magazine and not Nikon? Although I don't remember hearing anything either.

Amazon has had them at the regular price several times in the last couple of months. When Amazon has them, and not a 3rd party vendor selling through Amazon, they are at regular price.

I hated the price gouging. There were people selling the 35mm f/1.8 for $249... $259... $280! That's ridiculous.

I've also seen a local scammer trying to sell a "D50 Outfitter Kit" for $1,200. W... T... F?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it was a poor job on reporting from your Outdoor magazine and not Nikon? Although I don't remember hearing anything either.

There are a number of factors here but yes a combination of everything. Companies have a disaster recovery program. Say for example the plant would burn to the ground. They have to know what their next step is to minimize loss. The same is true if one of their suppliers goes out of business.

Taking that into account lets face it they were hit with many many blows. Who knows if they plan for something like this when all heck breaks out and you get hit from every option possible.

I would have just thought they would have been more public with what was effected, what is still being made, what has come to a complete halt etc.

i think that a combination of the tanking USD$ and supply issues is driving price rises for US customers.

Just went to BB to try to purchase this lens and I couldn't order it or anything.

Fine, I'm going to go buy an iPad instead.

B

Bill N

i think that a combination of the tanking USD$ and supply issues is driving price rises for US customers.

A vast majority of US dealers have continued to sell the lens, when in stock, for suggested retail since it came out. If the USD was truly tanking a price increase would run across the board for this and all imported products. It hasn't, there have been some increases but not on everything. What we hear about is the few retailers that raise the price on this lens and others when in short supply. That is their choice, as is ours to chose who we wish to do business with.:biggrin:

B

Bill N

Aaaaaaand they are still selling used on ebay for $250+... Ha.

I knew I should have ordered about 10 of them when BB had them.:eek: Some sales on $bay just never seem to make much sense!

I had one delivered from BB at the $199 price last week. When I read the thread here about the $155 I called BB customer service and they adjusted my credit card to reflect the sale price. This is a sweet little lens, especially at $155!!

I tried that, and went to the store, wouldn't credit me! Oh well.

Latest threads

Top Bottom