35-70 2.8 and 35 f2

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by watsonD50, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Well, as you can tell by my postings lately, I have started having that itch again, this time I am looking for fast glass. As lenses such as the 17-55, 70-200, and 28-70 2.8s are out of my reach - I have started to look at older, inexpensive Nikon glass. I love primes and zooms and I have been doing a ton of research lately (spent 6 hours reading archived threads on other forums just last night!). Anyways the two lenses I posted above intrigue me, and I wanted to learn more about them. I wanted to post 35-70 2.8 vs. 35 f2 in the subject line, but was afraid I would stir things up to much. Both lenses seem wonderful, but obviously it doesn't seem to make sense to purchase both (at least right now). The 35 f2 is very popular and seems to be a crowd favorite here and on other forums - but what about the 35-70 ? I know some people have noted that it's the 28-70 2.8s sister offering similar optics and this lens is affordable to boot. I would love to hear people's opinions about both as well as posted samples from each.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    don't have the 35-70, but am seriously considering it after reading post after post about its IQ
    I do have the 35 f2 and it is a great, sharp, lightweight lens
    I put it on my D50 and it is so light and easy, my type of point an shoot

3. For what it's worth, Ron Reznick is a big fan of the 35-70. I tried his during the recent Los Alamos workshop and can attest that it is a very sharp performer. I was ready to buy one until I started thinking about the limited zoom range.

I also like my 35/2 very much.

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i have both and like both and if i was reduced to just one lens it would be the 35-70 and i would be happy ta boot ....;-))

5. I have both (soon)

I currently only have the 35 f/2.0 but ordered a 35-70 f/2.8 (still in transit). If you do a search in this forum you'll have good results finding threads about the 35-70 f/2.8. It's discontinued so new stock won't last forever.

6. I have and like both of these lenses. I will use the 35-70 when I want to limit the lenses in my bag. If I feel like shooting primes, I'll bring the 35 f/2 along with a 50mm and either an 85, 105, or 200mm to cover the range. It just depnds on how I feel for the day. Both the 35 and the 35-70 are sharp so I feel that I am not missing out if I don't have one or the other.

God Bless,
    David

7. I love my 35 f/2, but got the itch also and ordered the 35-70. From what I've read here and elsewhere, they are both on par with one another. Ask yourself if you want small and extremelly light (35 f/2) or a little bigger but able to zoom some.....
    Jack

8. I would look at it this way, if you like the 35 f/2, well the 35-70 f/2.8 is a bargain, as you get a sharp lens, great IQ and the 36-70 FL thrown in on the deal with just a slightly slower f/2.8. So I guess it has a huge zoom range compared to the 35/f2... ;o))

9. Thanks

i think i am leaning towards the 35-70. I love my 18-70 and don't plan to get rid of it, but I would love to have a faster optic.

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

it's like having a handfull of primes in one lens...spits out yummy images all the way through ...;-))

11. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Hi Daniel,

I was in the same position a few months back and chose the 35-70 for the reasons Wally highlights... it's a quality lens and a real bargain, build and performance are excellent and the obvious zoom advantage over the prime was the clincher for me. The push pull is easy to get used to and the AF is fast enough for me, personally I think it's a great choice if your budget doesn't extend to the 17-55 or 28-70.

12. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Toally sold on the 35-70. Nice size and as sharp as a cut throat razor.

Love the close focusing too!

[​IMG]

13. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ya, datsa NO brainer ...or is data brain with cheese? geez, lol

14. Jonathan P.

Jonathan P.

Jul 10, 2007
    Appalachia
    I just received a new Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D from B&H last week. My daughter turned one month old the next day, so I took a few pictures with the 35-70 mounted on my D80.

I'm still learning how to properly expose on the D80, so forgive me if the first picture doesn't look right to your eye. All of these were taken on an overcast day. What's more, my monitor is not calibrated. I only applied a slight amount of USM to this picture. Otherwise it hasn't been touched.

[​IMG]

The sharpness of the 35-70mm f/2.8 continues to blow me away. In a full crop of the next photo, I can clearly see the individual contours of my wife's fingerprints with no sharpening applied to the RAW image.

[​IMG]

I own both the 17-55mm f/2.8 AF-S DX and the 70-200mm f/2.8 AF-S VR. I think my copy of the 35-70mm f/2.8 is sharper than the 17-55mm and at least as sharp as the 70-200mm.

Here is a final photo from the 35-70mm f/2.8 for good measure.

[​IMG]

15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lovely images Jonathan...you're guna get addicted to this glass,,,try out that macro feature too...;-))