1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

35-70 about to join my kit (2 large jpegs)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Aug 30, 2008.

1. I was looking for a reasonably inexpensive way to fill the gap between my 17-50mm Tamron and 80-200mm Nikon lenses for photojournalism. I wanted something that would let me zoom-frame and that could do macro in a pinch. All to fill out a three lens f/2.8 (plus telextender) small kit.

Originally I had rejected the 35-70mm as too old and too limited, but decided to take a hands-on look after a local wedding photographer listed his at a reasonable price. Tried it out the other day, and guess what will be in my bag next week?

Here are two of the shots that convinced me.

The first is a non-scaled portrait of Joseph, the photographer, shot at 35mm and f/4 in front of the Jones Library, Amherst, MA. Joe was a really nice guy and we had a good time talking photography. He has added a 50-150 Sigma to his kit so the 35-75 doesn't fit so well any more.

Note the sharpness and the skin tone, as well as that "look" that the best of the older Nikon lenses seem to have. No added sharpening, just transfer:

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    35mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    ISO 200

Here is a half-size shot of the library wall at 70mm and f/4.5. In this case I added transfer sharpening, as the image was being downsized. Can you define "sharp":

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    70mm    f/4.5    1/1600s    ISO 200

Thanks to Nute and Robert and Stuart and others who have posted here showing examples of this lens. Those pics helped me decide to pursue it.

I think I am going to be happy with this in my "small kit". The 35 2, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and Sigma Macro will replace it in the "large kit", but one replacing four ain't bad!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Harry,

I've still got a 35-70 f/2.8 AFD from the days of film. A little trip down memory lane.

Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race Start (October 2000) Scanned from film.

272286009_K9Njv-X3-1.

272285979_BGiy3-X3-1.

272285955_ZLVBJ-X3-1.

Enjoy, its a fine lens! Now all I need is an FX Digital.

Warm regards,

3. Nice shots, and really pretty little schooners, Bill. Maybe you can become the official schooner race photographer and offset that FX, eh?

4. I'm already the Sailing Race Chairman for the event. I don't have time to take pictures (grumble, grumble). The last time I got to use a camera at the start was in 2000. 2001-2007 I just had too much to do.

Oh, and we have big schooners too! "Lady Maryland" at the start of the 2000 GCBSR

272286078_aPwoc-X3-1.

Warm regards,

5. I got one for the D700 and have really been enjoying it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Harry

Congrats. This lens grows on you. I do find the 70mm retracted 35 extended a little counter intuitive but overall a sweet lens for the money. You'll want the HB-15 hood if you don't already have it................

Cheers

Ted:smile:

7. It is a quality lens, that's for sure. Beautiful girl!

8. I lived in Port Washington for years, and have some feel for how complicated running the races can be. I can understand why no pictures.

Thats one big, beautiful boat. Do you race as one class, handicapped, or in Divisions?

9. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    I also bought this lens from a fellow cafe member two weeks ago. I haven't had a real chance to use it yet. The transaction was great - thanks Buckeye Biker.

10. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :cool:  I hope you enjoy this lens as much as I do..look forward to seeing your work with it Harry.

11. Harry,

Here is a link to our web site. The schooners will be at Broadway Pier in Fells Point (inner harbor Baltimore) on Wednesday Oct 15. Good pictures can be taken as they get underway around 0830 Thursday October 16. The actual start of the race is south of the Bay Bridge. Anyone wishing for on the water pictures needs to stay clear of the starting area around the committee boat at all times while the schooners are present.

The next good pictures dockside will be in Portsmouth Virginia in the basin near the Holiday Inn Saturday October 18. Public welcome in both Fells Point and Portsmouth Virginia.

Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race

We race in 4 classes. AA for the largest schooners "Virginia", "Pride Of Baltimore", "Liberty Clipper", "Mystic Whaler", "A J Meerwald" and others. "Virginia" set the record for the fastest time last year. A is for modern fast schooners, B and C are for the smaller schooners. The replica of the "Amistad" will be racing in AA this year as well.

I will post this in places to shoot shortly. For those taking pictures pierside, wide angles are a must!

Warm regards,

12. Thanks, Bill. Unfortunately I am hosting a College Alumni Association Fall Hike that weekend (when it leaves Baltimore). Wish I could shoot it...but happy you have a good excuse to get the word out here. :smile:

13. I loved your car event shots, Stuart. Helped me decide. Thanks.

14. I have essentially the same gap as you do Harry (17-55 to 80-200) ever since my daughter inherited by 24-85. I'd looked at the 35-70 but decided not to get one (despite the great images I'd seen) because of the rotating front--I'd use it for landscapes and make a lot of use of CP filter and ND grads.

The 24-70 is too expensive for me right now, and I have been tempted by the Sigma 50-150 (built in motor) and Tokina 50-135 (tripod collar and foot).

Lust is so hard to cure, er, I mean satisfy! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  15. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    :wink: Your welcome mate..enjoy!

16. Took me while to warm up to it too, Nick. Somewhere around is an old consumer grade 50-75, I guess. Don't know if they are any good. But that seemed to be the only alternative....and I do like the results.

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats Harry ...something to mount on your new fx as well ....;-)))

18. Well, it will have to coexist with several others, but I suspect it will hold it's own. Thanks for your early pioneering of this lens on the forum, Nute.

19. I was wondering how you liked it. I think it was a fine lens, just found I was using the 17-50 Tammy a little more for the wide end, and I'm not into portraits so much. I agree, the transaction was fine. Thank you, Gary.

20. Interesting. I'm indulging myself with both lens...the Tamron as an extremely sharp, extremely affordable 17-35 wide range (plus normal), and the new 35-70 for normal-portrait range. The 80-200 and Kenko extenders will take care of the remainder out to 400mm. 17-200m @f/2.8 and 200-400 @f/4-f/5.6 makes a pretty nice small journalism kit for the D300, don't you think? Perhaps I could have done without the 35-70mm, but it is nice to know I have the range covered when I know that is "where" I want to shoot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.