35-70 f/2.8 Canada Supply Run Out?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Sandman76, Jun 25, 2007.

1. I've searched all over the place online for the Nikkor 35-70 f/2.8 in Canada (wanting to pick one up before all the new supply is gone). I even called the place I bought my other equipment from and they don't even know if they can get them anymore (although they have one used). Yes I could order from BHphoto online, but I wanted to ensure I could get the lens fixed in Canada if problem arose or just needed general tuneup/cleaning.

So here's my question... Anyone know of a Canadian retailer that has one of these lenses in stock?

Any help is much appreciated!

2. Thanks bmiller

Thank you for your insight, unfortunately, that is the place I contacted and have used in the past. Not unfortunately bad because I'm VERY pleased with their service; unfortunately because of lack of supply. Their supplier in Vancouver doesn't even have an ETA if at all :eek:

I may end up ordering from BHphoto afterall and hope I don't have any warranty issues past the year warranty they offer.

3. imageswest

imageswest Guest

Uh... their Nikon stock comes from Nikon Canada in Mississauga, Ontario - not Vancouver.

4. Glad to see I am not the only one who thinks Henrys is overpriced on Used :)

As for that lens, about 3 weeks back I was almost looking for that one but could not find it anywhere local or online in Canada.

5. Just repeating what the sales rep told me. Perhaps the distribution center for Western Canada is in Vancouver? No idear as they didn't seem to have an idear either.

Thanks all for your help, I will pursue some of these leads (although polar905 didn't seem to find any lenses either).

6. Derrick,

Don't know if you've tried this. Call Vistek in Calgary and see if they have one. I purchased mine in TO at Vistek, after seeing it in the store. After a week, it never hit their on-line used section.

Just a thought.

7. Some good/bad news...

"This lens is available new for $779.99 Canadian $'s. This is from Nikon Canada and includes a 5 year Canadian warranty. We also have a used 35-70mm f/2.8D for $349.50. It is in very good condition and includes a 30 day repair warranty."

I contacted about 1/2 dozen camera stores online this morning and only one came back with a positive result but with a slightly elevated price (compared to BHphoto from the US). CDN$780 whereas US$479 from BHphoto turns out to be about CDN$500ish. Taxes would be the same crossing the boarder as the Canadian supplier because they are in Vancouver and apparently no duty crossing the boarder.

Would anyone have insight as to if it would be worth the almost $300 premium to get the Canadian one and if so why? I'm thinking not and just run with the US or import one from BHphoto.

Also one place I contacted suggested "Sigma AF 24-70 mm EX DG Macro on sale for $545.00 which carries a 10 years Sigma Canadian warranty." Arrhhh now I need to research quality/construction of this lens but the warranty seems good.

Markb: Vistek was one that came back with a negative result for getting the Nikon 35-70; thank you for your suggestion sir.

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

whatever u do stick with the 35-70 2.8d ..it's one of a kind..;-)

9. That's kind of what I was thinking (thank you Nuteshack for confirming this). I forgot to mention that the reason I am looking for this lens is because it has been discontinued and the supply chain is running dry. So I wanted to get a great piece of pro quality glass for such a bargain. My next lens purchase was actually going to be Sigma 10-20 and possibly a Nikon 85/f1.8 but once I started reading about the 35-70 I figured that would be an excellent lens to cover the middle ground with and I would wait on the Sigma for a while (or just go ahead and order one too mwahhahaha :biggrin:).

I emailed the Vancouver store back to see about coming closer to the US pricing. If they can't I think I'll just order a US or grey market one from BHphoto.

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

B&H has a wonderful reputation...just do it and get it over with ..lol

btw, this glass is like having a handful of primes and it does so many things well. if i had just one lens this would be the one and i would be happy ....;-))

11. Ok, seems the Vancouver store is sticky on pricing and won't budge. Taking Nuteshack's advice I'm going to go with BHphoto. LAST question(s) before ordering.... Grey market or USA? I don't have a lot of time before I blast off to work tonight and have tried researching the difference with warranty. Seems the USA has a 5 year warranty (like here in Canada) but will they ship back to Canada for warranty coverage or should I just stick with the grey market and ship back to BHphoto (one year only on grey market which I doubt I'll even use). I'll spend the extra US$20 on the USA version if I can get servicing and shipping. I do have another option which is a good buddy of mine who lives in Washington state, he could play the go between if required.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

just $20 more for the USA version? do it!
    ;-)

13. For $20.00 get the US version and sleep well with no future warranty hassles.

14. Thanks Nuteshack and Markb!!!

Well the agony is over! I've just placed my order to BHphoto for the 35-70/f.28. WOOOHOOO!!!:Guns: I ordered the HB-15 hood as well so my rig will now basically look like Nuteshacks as I too have the D50.
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=119821&highlight=35-70+hood

Might have caught me in a weak moment as I've just got home after night shift (although reasonably rested at work).

Thanks to all those who've made this desision a lot easier (although not always easy for my money/credit to part).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats Derrick,,,u done good!
    ;-))

16. Brent M

Brent M

Aug 13, 2006
    I just got one yesterday for my birthday.

I only took a handful of shots with it, but was frankly stunned at the quality of a snap shot of my son wide open at 70 mm.

I think you did good to order one of these when you did Derrick.