35-70mm 2.8D auto focus question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by VOLKeith, Jul 16, 2007.

1. I have recently acquired a used 35-70mm 2.8D. This lens looks new and has excellent optical quality, only wish it was sharper at 2.8 but it sharpens nicely in PP.

My autofocus seems kind of clunky and slow. It is practically unusable for moving children at large apetures. It will acquire focus on still subjects pretty easily but still seems loud and clunky.

Now all this is clunkiness is subjective so I will compare to another none AFS lens an 80-200mm 2.8D no tripod collar version. The 80-200mm seems much faster and smoother. Is this about right or do you think I have a problem with the 35-70mm.

thanks

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

this is not a good action lens on most DSLR's. at least it isn't on my d50's..and it does grunt now and then lol..and it's not the best low light lens (can hunt at times) ..but with that said, it's still my favorite lens, very sharp all the way through ....;-))

3. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

I use mine on a D70 and D200 and it seems to work quite quickly and fairly silently. Probably my main walkabout lens - very sharp, good color, decent (but not great) boke. Use a hood - it's subject to flare. However, it is NOT a mechanically fast lens - not a great one for action. Does sound as though you might want to get it checked.

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i actually like the bokeh from this glass...of course this is a very subjective thing but think it would be boring if all lenses had bokeh like the "cream machine" ....;-))

5. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    On my D1H and D2H it is MUCH faster than my Tamron 17-50 if that means anything to you. It is honestly the same speed as my HSM 70-200 Sigma. I have yet to try it on my D2H, but it was pretty damn quick on my F4 which has a relatively slow motor built into it.

6. Very fast on my D2x. I use it for action, no problem. The screw drive on the D1/2 series is faster than other models. Perhaps this is what is causing the speed issue.

I wouldn't be a bad idea to find someone with the same lens and compare yours to it. If the other guys lens is fast on your camera get your lens checked out.

P.S. mine is sharp at 2.8, although you have to nail the depth of feild as it is pretty shallow.

Good luck!

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    quick question while you are on the 35-70 mm
    I tried this lens at BH yesterday and the push/pull seems VERY loose
    like it pushes/ pulls when blowing on it
    is this somewhat normal, or just because 2000 (?) people have played with it ?
    it seemed very sharp
    but I haggle over the FL..

8. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    My copy seems to focus fine on a D80 - not as fast as an AF-S lens but surely not noticeably slow either.

My lens extension also 'feels' loose but it doesn't creep so I have no complaints - great lens. The 35-70/2.8 and Sigma 30/1.4 have pretty much sent my Nikon 35/2 into retirement.

9. Focusing speed is more a product of the camera body than the lens so expect it to be slower on a D50 than it would be on a D2H... or something similar.

10. The focus speed seems fine on my copy (attached to a D80). It seems a little better than I expected-- subjectively it's at least comparable to my 50mm f/1.8.

My copy did have trouble focusing in a park with in high dynamic range situation-- bright sun, deep shadow, and a two year old swinging on a swing-- but I was probably asking too much of the lens and camera :smile:

11. thanks guys

thanks

I am using a D50 and it is definitely slower than my 50 1.8. I will live with it I guess. Optically it is fantastic and was a great bargain, but you knew this already.

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    A 50 1.8 is of course a prime lens, less mechanics, less things to drive, likely less glass elements to move thus quicker even on the same body.

13. This makes sense to me.

It might be simply that my 50mm is noisier than usual... I also normally use the 50 1.8 at f/2.8 or lower, and so far have used the 35-70 at f/4 and higher.