35 f/1.8 DX Brick Wall Test

I did a careful brick wall test today since weather conditions were right, and have published the results at http://www.pbase.com/hflphotos/35mm_f18_brick_wall_test.

Here are reduced size versions of four key shots:

f/1.8 slightly soft in sharpness and contrast
f/2.2 full contrast, nearly full sharpness
f/8 full contrast and sharpness
f/11 just beginning to soften

by f/16 the lens is gone.

Essentially this lens is maximally usuable from f/2 to f/11...pretty outstanding. And totally consistent with what you see in the MTF tests in photozone, SLR-Gear, and DPreview testing.

f/1.8
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f/2.2

f/8

f/11

The pbase website contains full size jpegs as well as these smaller ones. No PP'ng at all....just web retouching done automatically by Photo Mechanic in creating the smaller jpegs.

I know some of you scoff at the idea of such things as resolution testing and MTF scores, so I will leave you with a shot of my cat Lenny glowering at me early yesterday evening as I made him sit for a low-light portrait in miserable light, using the just-arrived 35mm on my D300:

Nikon D300, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX 1/30s f/2.8 at 35.0mm iso3200

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I noticed the same thing on mine. It's good enough to shoot wide-open at 1.8, but it has a nice bit of extra "bite" at 2.0 or 2.2.

Yeah I noticed the same thing on mine. It's good enough to shoot wide-open at 1.8, but it has a nice bit of extra "bite" at 2.0 or 2.2.
Yep, it takes my 50 f/1.4 (D) to get up to that same f/2.0 or f/2.2, even though it is faster on paper. The 35 operates like the 85 f/1.8..a tad soft wide open and then..wham..sharp at f/2 or f/2.2 in particular).

Awesome...now I know what lens to grab if a client needs me to shoot a brick wall....

J.K. ..:)
Or a cat! Don't forget the cat! :biggrin:

^^ :)

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your results. The cat shot is quite impressive. The exposure is very good and it shows.
Thanks, Jonathan. I find I can shoot at iso3200 with pretty good results so long as the exposure is nailed and their is not a lot of dark shadows in the picture. When the D300 first came out I wasn't sure about it; now I know that with care it can reach pretty far into the gloom. And a sharp, fast "normal" lens is exactly what it needs to shine.

Good point! Thanks for posting.
Back atcha, Andy. Thanks.

Wow,

I just pixel peeped the full res shots in your link, you need to post 100% crops. The F8 shots are crazy sharp.

Thanks for sharing.
Perhaps you are right, although I think the SMALL prints better show the "usability" (or lack thereof) of the sharpness, which is why I published them for the more casual viewer. For pixel-peepers like yourself, the pbase environment is unsurpassed even though it takes a few minutes to get through all four shots.

Thanks for looking, though. I share your enthusiasm for this little beauty.

Great test series Harry. I can tell the cat loves 'sitting' for you!! :)

Don
Yeah, it's pretty obvious, isn't it? :frown:

thanks for the test! i rarely use mine above f2.8 because its so sharp!!
I tend to shoot pretty wide open as well, but sometimes it comes in handy ... I shot at a horse farm this morning and used f8 to get the entire farm...foreground and background...in focus.

Thank you VERY MUCH for this, Harry Lavo
You are welcome, Steinar.

Thanks Harry. Good to know what I might be able to do once I get my hands on one.
Yes indeedy, Doug. it's also good to know that this very impressive lens costs "only" $200...when many Nikon lenses are now up in quadruple digits.

Very impressive, thanks for posting Harry.

You are very welcome, Gene. It is an impressive showing for such a reasonably priced lens...especially since the 35/2 and even the new 50/1.4 don't do as well.

Gene

Last edited by a moderator:
one more information for those who use the lens on FX bodies ... the distortion on a full frame is much more noticable

regardless that it's a great lens... and for that price just a bargain

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom