35 MM Slides

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by TheKO, Jun 29, 2005.

1. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    We recently had a discussion about the first camera you owned. Many replies included some comment about all of the 35 MM slides we all seem to have accumulated thru the years.

So, I get to thinking (an unusual occurrence) - is there a way to copy the slides by shooting them directly with the D-70.

I pulled out my Nikon PB-5 bellows and slide copy attachment and gave it a try. Problem seems to be that I cannot copy the entire slide - only a portion of it. Suspect it has something to do with the crop factor resident in the D-70.

Anyone got any ideas on how to use a DSLR to copy a slide?

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You are probably using a 1:1 magnification ratio in your slide copier. Is there a way to set it to 1:1.5? That would get the whole slide.

3. I have made copy of slides using a CP-950 with the slide copying adapter ES-E28. The size of the 35mm slides is a little different than the size a digital camera can take the only option that come close in size would be the 3:2

4. Yes, you can make very good copies of your slides with your D70... I did it with my D100.

I made a simple cardboard holder to do it. I cut a square hole in the middle of a letter size piece of corrugated bigger than the transparancy but smaller than the holder. Then I glued a couple strips of corrugated around the hole to hold the slides in the same spot.

I mounted the holder at a 45 degree angle and put a softbox (lightsource) behind it. I mounted the camera on a tripod, set the distance correct, locked down the focus and pop, pop, pop "scanned" a whole pile of slides in no time.

In a pinch you can simply use a lightbox. Set the camera up, hold the slide by the edges, slide it around to frame it and shoot.

Go to my www link and scroll down to the Architecture pictures. The images of The Carlysle were done with my first method. It ain't pretty but it works.

Woody