35mm 1.8 AF-S?? Why not 1.4!?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phillip Ino, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    It's funny days before the new Nikkor 50 1.4 AF I buy a classic 50 1.2 AIS. Now I have a Nikkor 35 1.4 AIS coming fom a cafe member and now, this 35 1.8 AF. Nikon must watching:tongue:. I wonder if this new Nikkor has VR and nano coating? It's a shame if it's not 1.4. But good for Nikon. I sure if it's true the 35 1.8 will sell well. Im not buying. Im saving for Noct, which means nikon will becoming out with a new version of the Nikkor 58 1.2 AIS:cool:.

Gregory

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    LOL Gregory! It's like how it rains every time I wash my car. I wish they were watching. Well, they probably are. But that doesn't mean they're "listening" :wink:. I'm sure it will sell, too, but why not just go ahead and make it a 1.4 or 1.2!

3. Ah, more rumor-mongering for us to build unsubstantiated rationalizations. Here's mine ... :biggrin:

- Nikon is moving the pro realm to FX.

- 35mm isn't terribly wide for FX.

- DX will end up being for the entry-level and mid-level consumer market.

- As that market ends up losing a lot of its advanced users to FX, that market doesn't buy a lot of primes. When it does, most will find a 50/1.4 AF-S too long and too expensive. Especially after seeing a $110 50/1.8 AF-D.

- So, make a 35/1.8. It'll be a "normal" field of view for the DX consumer market. With an f/1.8 design, Nikon can make it cheaper and sell it at a price more palatable to the consumer market.

- For the FX market, focus on making a fast prime that is truly wide on FX. Since that market has pros and people who are willing to spend more, make that lens faster than f/1.8 and stick all the acronyms on it. Like a 28/1.4 AF-S NC IF ED YWBI.

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    After my Post I was thinking why not 1.2 as well. Having the 1.2 on the Nikkor 50 1.2 AIS is God send since my D3 is down. It,s funny how shooting at 6400 ISO become second nature. Going back to 1600(usable with my D2H) makes you really appreciate fast glass. I was doing some interior captues yester day and at 1600 widxe open at 1.2 I was at 1/50 second, hand held. But 1.8 is still fast, well, compared to a zoom lens at 2.8. And if true this new lens will be faster than my belove Nikkor 35 F2 AIS that I have decided not to sell even though Im getting the 1.4.
    Wouldnt it be outstanding if Nikon came out with a new line of high speed primes with aspherical lens elements, outstanding build quality VR, and nano coat, and AFS to boot. My instints are that like the new 50 1.4 AF, "good enough" is what we get. "Good enough" never did cut it for me. Funny thing, is it used to cut it fror Nikon either:frown:. What happened to the company(Nikon) that used to design and produce small runs (400). This switch to the mass market leaves me uninspired to run out and buy, buy, buy.

gregory

5. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Sweet! I sold my 35mm f/2D in anticipation of one of these coming out. 1.8 is quick enough for me. I probably couldn't afford the 1.4 version, or at least I wouldn't use it enough to justify spending that much. My only DSLR is a D40 now, so all of these new AF-S lenses are coming just in the nick of time. :D

6. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    35 isn't terribly wide on FX yet the 35mm f/1.4 AIS is an FX lens... as is the 17-35mm... as was the 35-70mm f/2.8

wasn't it?

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

yes

9. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Well, FX was the only thing around when the 35/1.4 was introduced.....

10. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Paul: Well I did just order a Nikkor 28 F4 P.C from KEH. I never even considered buying the new 24 P.C as I hope to frankenstein the old 28P.C like Bjorn so it tilts and swing:biggrin:. Im going to have a local camera store do it for me. wish me luck. As far as my next purchace it is going to be a Noct. So let it be know the Rumor is true nikon will be introducing a new AFS 58 1.2 Noct. Just remember you heard it first here:biggrin:.

Gregory

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

since the advent of the d40 these faster afs primes are way over due. i think it's all good but won't be satisfied till they go all the way with it. like where's that 24 f2 (or faster) afs?

tell u what's bothersome though is the rumored 85 afs. i'm hearing f2 (ouchy). but then again maybe it will be the funk, who knows?

;-)))

12. Sure, the only thing in those days was full-frame. I'm not saying that 35mm is useless, far from it. Examples of the 35/2 on FX here have borne that out.

IIRC, "wide" on film was usually 24mm to 28mm (~16mm to 19mm on DX). 35mm on film was "moderately wide."

I'm just saying that 35mm isn't that wide on FX -- it's like ~24mm on DX. Users of the 24-70/2.8 DX often mention times when they wish it was wider, or switch to their UWA.

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    But not very many D40 users are going to have interest in such high dollar lenses. I don't think Nikon will ever go all the way to satisfy our prime needs and wants. They have perfected that delicate balance of retaining us as Nikon customers while leaving us with something(s) to desire.

14. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I wonder if Nikon mount has somthing to do with making slower primes in the wide-medium telephoto range. I remember looking at a Canon 85 1.2 AF in a camera store several years ago and it had a gold contact on the back element. And Canon EOS has a larger mount than there old FD system. Maby the days of super fast normal, medium telelphoto and wide angles made by Nkon are done. Long live Nikkor AIS:tongue:.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i bet u sigma made a ton of $doe$ on that $400 dirty 30. and why? because nikon didn't make one in that range that would auto focus on the d40/60:wink:

and i hope nikon took notice of that new canon 24 1.4:eek:

16. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    This makes a lot of sense to me, though i think the sports and widlife markets will continue to merit a D300-level camera body for a long time to come. Being that many/most other pros are moving to FX, though, it would make sense that nikon would make the most popular pro-level primes to suite FX format (these including the 50 and 85). The 35 was never as popular but it is ideally suited to DX, so it is only logical that it would be a more consumer level price/speed (though I would be surprised if it wasn't FX format). I bet a 35/1.8 hits the market for around $300 or so to make it competitive in this market.

So what's next in the prime lineup? One would expect fast wide primes... Perhaps a 24/2 or 2.8 b/c it works well in both formats (a 28 makes less sense because of this - why not have simply made a 30/1.8 instead of a 35?), and then a wide DX prime or two- probably a 17/2.8 DX b/c can comfortably sub for both a 24mm and 28mm lens. And then, we are still missing the DC portrait lenses and moderate telephoto - e.g., the 180.

Anyhow, I may be way off base here, but this all seems like a logical (to me, anyway) evolution of nikon's traditional prime lineup. Not that Nikon isn't bound to surprise us, esp. given the rumors of this MX format...

Steve

17. After a few comparisons of the Nikkor and the Sigma 30/1.4 are available, I could be easily tempted to put the new Nikkor on a D40 as a go everywhere camera.

18. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    If this lens is real, it's a replacement for the 35/2, which is a compact, affordable medium-wide prime.

A 35/1.4 would be expensive (aspherics, floating elements, Nano coat) so would have a limited market compared to a 35/1.8. There's nothing to stop Nikon from introducing an F1.4 lens later on - they have 1.8 and 1.4 versions of the 50 and 85, so why not 35?

19. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;