35mm 1.8G problem...

I went to use my 35mm 1.8G earlier this afternoon and it was so difficult to mount that I did not mount it for fear of breaking it. Not sure what to make of it. All of my other lenses mount just fine with no issues so I am perplexed to say the least. Any Ideas?

My guess is that it might be due to the rubber seal around the lens mount. The rubber may have dried up some and possibly hardened so that it doesn't squish down when you mount the lens.

Try mounting the lens, and apply some inward pressure on the lens towards the camera body then try turning to see if it gets any easier.

This happened to my 35mm 1.8g. I thought I had done something to mess it up, but it looks like you're having the same issue. I just put a very light film of unused motor oil on the mount, and that worked.

This happened to my 35mm 1.8g. I thought I had done something to mess it up, but it looks like you're having the same issue. I just put a very light film of unused motor oil on the mount, and that worked.

That's awesome! One rarely hears stories involving cameras and motor oil that have a happy ending.

That's awesome! One rarely hears stories involving cameras and motor oil that have a happy ending.

This makes perfect sense to me. If the lens is stored in an extremely cool/dry environment the rubber seal can get extremely dried out, and become very hard to the point that it won't squish down when trying to mount the lens. Motor oil will absorb in to the rubber, and soften things back up making the rubber pliable again.

This is exactly the reason why tire manufactures will tell you to change your tires if they are beyond a certain age even if the tread is like new. Rubber has oils in it, that make it pliable to flex, and conform to the road. Years of sun exposure will dry the oils right up, and make the tires very hard, and cause them to crack which is dangerous.

This makes perfect sense to me. If the lens is stored in an extremely cool/dry environment the rubber seal can get extremely dried out, and become very hard to the point that it won't squish down when trying to mount the lens. Motor oil will absorb in to the rubber, and soften things back up making the rubber pliable again.

This is exactly the reason why tire manufactures will tell you to change your tires if they are beyond a certain age even if the tread is like new. Rubber has oils in it, that make it pliable to flex, and conform to the road. Years of sun exposure will dry the oils right up, and make the tires very hard, and cause them to crack which is dangerous.

I understand the theory, I just don't think motor oil is the best tool for that job. You don't use 30 weight to maintain your tires, or do you?

Not on the rubber seal. On the metal mounting surface.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom