35mm f/1.4 AIS on a D700 or?

Does anyone have a view on how the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 AIS performs on the D700. I have been offered one at a very reasonable rate, but it would mean dipping into, and spending my Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 fund.

Or, should I just forget the Nikkor and wait another year or so for the Zeiss?

Unless you get a Leica APO , the Nikkors are fine.

From tests I have seen, 35 1.4 AiS is not that good wide open, so if 1.4 is important to you, I would get the G version or just a 2.0 or 2.8 AiS and call it a day..

Pop Flash Photo has sample ZF lenses they will loan out for a small fee. Try one out.

I have not used a Nikkor 35mm f1.4 AIS but the shots I have seen from that lens are awesome. If the price is right and you are in need of a 35mm prime lens then why not, it is a good performer.
Now, understand this lens was designed for use with 35mm film cameras and it will share very well with your full frame D700. I have no experience with Zeiss lenses but I know of their quality. I have always been satisfied with the quality of Nikkor optics. If you could test the Nikkor before buying that should be very nice to give you an idea of its performance and the same goes with the Zeiss lens.
I do not know of the performance of your 28mm f3.5 Nikkor, I like the 28mm f2.8, which is a wider lens than 35. Also consider that your 35mm focal length is covered with your Tamron 28-75, a very good performer. What I am saying is that you have to make sure that indeed you need a fast prime in the 35mm focal length, otherwise you are burning money.
Good luck with your choice.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom