35mm f 2 lens HELP

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by slabwax, Jul 8, 2007.

1. slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    I've been looking into buying a 35mm f2.0 lens. I've found a used one that is not a "D" series lens. Now for them dumb question. What is the difference between a non D lens and a D lens.

Thanks for the info
  2. D provides distance information to the camera, mostly for flash compensation.

The other thing is that you may have to watch for oil on the aperture blades. It did affect some of the 35mm's early on but apparently Nikon fixed that issue as of June 2001.
  3. slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    I guess I should buy a D series lens then. Thanks for the info.

4. Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Quite honestly, I can see no difference between the two and I've worked both versions side-by-side including flash work.

If the non-D is a nice clean copy, I'd buy it in a heart beat.
  5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

what Holmes said ....;-)
  6. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    What Holmes and Nuteshack said.

Bu do check the aperture blades. It's easy to see. Stop the lens all the way down, and look at them. If they have oil on them, they will look wet. Even if they do, if the lens is cheap enough, you can get it fixed.
  7. slabwax

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks for all the input.

I'm going to see if I can pick this unit up. It looks clean. I will check for oil on the blades.

Thanks again
  8. tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    what Holmes,Nuteshack and Chris said.

'D' or non-'D'..new or old..CHECK the lens. on a camera with exposure set
    to matrix,spot and center-weighted. All apertures and all distances.

I have been bitten twice!!

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

mine has oily blades and it hasn't hurt it one bit..if it ever becomes a prob i'll just have it fixed...;-))