3D-Framing Tutorial

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Doug Barber, Nov 25, 2005.

1. __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

Now available in Tutiki:

[tutiki]3D_Framing[/tutiki]

Comments or Questions to this tutorial are always welcome, please feel free to post them here.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________​

Greetings all:
    This tutorial has been around for a while now but there seems to be a little interest so I thought I would post a copy here that will allow the members to access it when they want...

The basic idea in 3D Framing is to have your image "pop" out of the frame in some way... so with that in mind lets get started...

original.

Open the photo you want to use. **Make duplicate copy**.
    (Never work on your original)
    Make all adjustments that you want for the final product.

original.

Decide what part of the image that you want to come out of the frame. In this case we want the dogs feet/legs to come out. At this point we want to select the area of the photo that we want to cut away. You can use several different tools to do this but I like the polygon tool myself so that is what we will use.

(Because this is my tutorial and I can do what ever I want—lol)

Decide at what point you want to start and use the polygon toll to create your selected area.

~TIP~:
    To create a strait line click and hold your shift key and it will only run strait. Let go of the shift and you can go around image corners.
    So select the are you want and you will end up with the (running mice)

original.

Now inverse your selection
    Select>inverse
    You will note that we now have the area we want to KEEP selected

While still selected… copy >command “C”
    Open “NEW” document In the NEW doc window select transparent background
    File>new
    In the NEW doc window select transparent background

Photoshop will default to the same size of image as you already have (I hope)
    Before you do anything else… create a second (new) layer in this “NEW” Document
    In the top layer of the NEW doc. paste your dog… edit past (command>V)
    We should now have the dog in the new image without the part we don’t want.

Because we created a second layer we will have the dog on the top layer and a blank layer as the background
    1-the dog
    2-transparent background

Now we want to start getting the dog to jump out of the frame. To do this we first need to choose a matt size and color.
    First lets increase the size of the layer to give us a frame around the dog. To do this we need to change the canvas size.
    Make sure your background is selected
    Image>canvas size. We want to increase the size lots, as we will crop it properly later.

Now we should be looking like this…

If you don’t have something that looks like this…(as in all my tutorials) now would be a good time to go have a beer.
    So we now have a (2) layer document and we need to color the background layer.
    So pick your color and use the paint bucket to color the background.

At this point we might want to crop the image to get the project looking like we meant to get this effect… So use your crop tool and crop to get the effect you want.

As you can see we now have our dog jumping out a little but we need to add a little POP into this image so we are now going to take a run at the photo itself. What we want to do is try and get a little separation between the dog and the background if possible. It will give us a better 3D effect.
    So the first order of business will be to highlight the dog from the background. Again there is many ways to do this but for this tutorial we will use the polygon tool.
    (Again… It’s my tutorial so we use MY tools…lol)

So now lets possibly darken (curves) the background a little and then maybe run a little Gaussian blur to give us a little more 3D look.

Now with this image we still are not getting the dog jumping out at us so we will add another little thing… We will add a little lighting effect that should help.
    You will need to play with this a little as every image needs something a little different.
    For this image we will use the settings as seen in the next screen shot

So now we have a project that looks like this

** I know, I know… The red splotch should not be there… but I’m running out of time so it can stay…**

So now we will build frames just like I’ve talked about in other tutorials.
    You can find the link here:

http://www.atncentral.com/

At the end of the day we will have something that will look like this…

original.

Until I transposed this… I did not know how (dated) the package looks. Darn if I only had time I would do it again and use an image that was a little better.
    Hope this helps and good luck with your 3D frames

As a side note...
    I will not be monitoring posts to this thread... so if someone needs me just PM me...thanks

Doug Barber

2. my try

either there are a few minor text ommissions in the tutorial, or the beer could be an issue, but here is my first crude attempt.
    [​IMG]

3. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Doug

Here's on ei prepared earlier!!!

Using your technique I think.

It is an out of frame but also encompasses perspective as wel as image in image etc.

Hope you like

Best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

4. Ray,

I always liked this OOB picture. It is so unique the way Maria is holding the same picture of herself.

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Melissa

Yes, it was fun to do and get the picture in picture in picture etc......

Almost forgotten how it was done now!

Anyway, thanks again and most importantly, hope that you and family are well.

Must make time and drop you a line.

Very best wishes

Take care

Ray

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cool Dave.. Great start. I can't even do that. Boy tha pup is hell bent for election. Great shot for this treatment. PS have a beer for me will ya :>)))

Doug,
    Thanks a bunch for bring this great tut back.. Boy it has been awhile.

Love the lab too.

7. Thanks Gale. I am going to try and do a more careful version tommorrow and send it to the man that bought that puppy.
    Dave

8. I have done the out of frame thing on a couple of pics but, Ray - how to you do the infinity picture thing? That is a cool pic!

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Moderators, this is a great tutorial for us to learn from, would you consider making it sticky for 30 days so members can all see it and copy it for their use if they so desire? Thanks for posting the tutorial, I plan to give it a go real soon.

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Mark

Hi Mark

Glad you like it.

I did it a while ago and think the workflow is as I have shown in this post

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=56811

If uou have a look and see if that helps - if not let me know and I will have another go.

The thread was simply "for virginia"

All the best

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. thanks, I've been meaning to try one of these

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ron,
    Lets see how it turns out.

I really have not tried it. But sure want to...

13. Sherrill

Sherrill

Feb 27, 2006
    Gurnee, IL
    I am having trouble with the polygon tool. Mine is shaped like a star and I can not draw a straight line with it as it just puts in a star shape. I have not been able to change the shape of it. Am I doing something wrong? Or are you using the Polygonal Lasso tool instead? Please help, someone, anyone!!!

14. Doug, thanks, but i have a question

for the record: did you use your mouse or a WACOM tablet of some kind? amazing demo... i surely appreciate it

15. DemonaKrayle

DemonaKrayle Guest

Fine then, Ill help you... kinda sad your daughter tells you. Lol. I've looked at his/her other tutorials and saw it used before. It is the polygon Lasso tool.

16. Sorry I do not follow this thread so I did not see your post....

It seems like you are trying to use a brush tool or something. When you should be using the Polygonal Lasso Tool. It is located in your tool pallete second down on the left hand side. Might need to hit the fly out widow in that tool section.

17. Hi Greg:

Actually I use either.... In this case both the mouse of a pen will work just fine

18. Sherrill

Sherrill

Feb 27, 2006
    Gurnee, IL
    Hi Doug,

There are two polygon tools, the polygon tool and the polygonal lasso tool. I did a screen shot of the polygon tool and this is the one I thought you meant.

Screenshot.

Thanks for helping!!

19. Ah.... now I see why you might be having an issue....

20. Johnnycb

Johnnycb

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the post.