3G iPhone on our horizon.....

The most frustrating part for me is: my iPod Touch at first showed the 2.0 optional update available. I was not able to connect to the iTunes store server - no surprise today. I tried it periodically, and got the same result.

Then, it quit showing that option, and only shows (incorrectly): "This version of the iPod software (1.1.4) is the current version."

I hope in a day or so, it gives me the update option again. If not, I suppose it is time to call Apple Care...

My son was getting the same message. It just occured to me that I could just copy the update file off my desktop to a flash drive and give it to him. We did that about half an hour ago, and he's up and running! I'm sure he's happy he doesn't have to call his girlfriend from the old fashioned land line anymore today ;-)

Too bad there's no way to post it here.

After I don't know how many tries I was FINALLY able to successfully complete the updating of my "old" iPhone with the new 2.0 software/firmware, but it certainly took patience! When it seemed that things had calmed down a bit then I decided to go ahead and try and sync the new iPhone and that went smoothly, thank goodness.

It's been a crapshoot all day for most people, and I feel most sorry for those who haven't yet been able to activate their new iPhone or who casually decided to go ahead and update their current and only iPhone to the 2.0 version, only to get stuck in the process, which meant that they didn't have any phone available for quite some time. Ouch!

If I'd been running the show I sure would have handled things differently! Easy for ME to say..... Basically I just would not have attempted to launch all this new stuff at the exact same time!

John, I imagine that at some point later today or certainly by tomorrow the update option should reappear for you and then you should be able to go ahead and update your iPod Touch. There were comments about this issue on MacRumors but since I don't have an iPod Touch I didn't really read them all that carefully.

As for the "white balance" comments vis-a-vis the new iPhone, I realize that the phone doesn't have any sort of white balance adjustment, :biggrin: but someone on MacRumors used that term (I'll bet he's a photographer!!) and it seemed rather appropriate, a good way of describing the situation..... It does rather seem to be an issue of color temperature/white balance rather than an inherent flaw in the actual LCD screen. There is definitely a difference between it and my older iPhone, but when using one or the other by itself and not comparing them side-by-side it's not as apparent.

What are the other differences between the original iPhone and the 3G model? I have an original 8gb version? 3G would do me no good since I don't think it would function on my prepaid service. Are there any reason to upgrade other than more capacity for me?

Yes, Paul, if only cameras and other devices could begin to come even somewhere near the amazing sensitivity of human eyes......

mfletch, well......I'm still playing with my new iPhone here at home and haven't fully put it through all its paces yet, but for me one of the key reasons for the purchase was the 3G, since I am fortunate enough to live in an area where it is already established, and since I tend to use my iPhone more for accessing my email and the internet than as a phone....... Another of my primary reasons for upgrading from my 8 GB iPhone was the additional capacity. Many of the new features are available to us original iPhone owners with the 2.0 software/firmware upgrade. Since I've spent most of today in fiddling with getting the older iPhone upgraded and then finally being able to sync the new one and then going through category by category and fine-tuning my settings on the new iPhone I really haven't taken a lot of time to notice the differences, but I will say that I certainly have noticed more similarities overall. My "old" iPhone (which is now more-or-less like an iPod Touch with a few extras), with the 2.0 upgrade, is not all that dissimilar from the new iPhone when you take away the 3G and the extra capacity.

Quite honestly, I agree with the reviewers who have pointed out that if someone who already has an iPhone is unable to take advantage of 3G and who may or may not need the extra capacity, the first-generation iPhone is still more than able to do the job. For those of us who CAN take advantage of 3G and for whom non-WiFi fast access to the internet is important, the new iPhone holds more appeal.

After I've been out and about a day or two and used the new iPhone in my customary real-life situations in the same way I used my first iPhone, I'll be able to provide more information. The GPS thing doesn't mean much to me as I have a Garmin Nuvi in the car and wouldn't be using my iPhone for that purpose anyway. The new headphone jack doesn't mean much to me as I normally don't use headphones with my iPhone anyway. I am somewhat interested in investigating the new Apps store offerings....but, hey, that can be done with the first-gen iPhone, too!

One thing I'm really digging (not that I needed the 3G for it) is the new Remote application that lets you control your iTunes on your computer or your appleTV over wifi. My Mac Pro is in my office, directly adjoining my bedroom, so I can use it from my bed to listen to some music of my choice before going to sleep without having to get up.

One thing I'm really digging (not that I needed the 3G for it) is the new Remote application that lets you control your iTunes on your computer or your appleTV over wifi. My Mac Pro is in my office, directly adjoining my bedroom, so I can use it from my bed to listen to some music of my choice before going to sleep without having to get up.

We run a 9900-song music library on party shuffle all the time for background in our home and we're always asking "who's that?". When my bride saw REMOTE, she said "that's it, I'm getting one too".

I got to my small-town ATT store at 6:40am - was 12th in line and was out of there by 8:30. They were very well organized and prepared and I had no trouble at all getting a black 16 up and running. My first iPhone and very happy so far.

VERY nicely!!! In fact, that was one primary reason that I decided to upgrade from my "old" iPhone. Today I tested out the 3G in two different situations, one being at work in the staff break room, where, curiously, there is no WiFi access (although there is in the rest of the building) and was quite pleasantly surprised with how quickly my email and a couple of different websites came up. With my "old" iPhone I had long since given up on trying to access that with EDGE. After work I went to the local Fresh Fields/Whole Foods to get some things and in the parking lot tried 3G again. Excellent! Sites came up promptly.

I also had a giggle at how accurately the mapping function identified my location. For fun I typed in the name of a local restaurant and sure enough, it was promptly located for me. The 3G function works quite well in the absence of WiFi, and most definitely it is a LOT faster than EDGE. I'm a happy girl....

Thanks Connie. That is good news indeed. Just for fun tomorrow, see how easy it is to read the Cafe and view posted images on the 3G network since having constant access to the Cafe is of critical importance :biggrin:.

Related topic: iPod Touch (uses same software as iPhone):

Great news for anyone with this product: the itunes site is up and running, and iphones 2.0 is an incredible addition!!

Remote is a WI-FI control for your iTunes and AppleTV. There are some awesome programs, most free, for the iPod Touch or iPhone! :biggrin:

I still haven't gotten around to the Apps Store yet but will eventually make it.... I keep hearing about all these neat new apps that we iPhone/iPod Touch users can load into our devices!

Yep, it took a while but finally ITMS (iTunes Store) is up and running normally and so is MobileMe. There are apparently still lines out there of people wanting to buy a new iPhone, and I imagine that there will be throughout this first week.

Related topic: iPod Touch (uses same software as iPhone):

Great news for anyone with this product: the itunes site is up and running, and iphones 2.0 is an incredible addition!!

Remote is a WI-FI control for your iTunes and AppleTV. There are some awesome programs, most free, for the iPod Touch or iPhone! :biggrin:

I bought a Touch and signed up to be a developer so I could play a little. Have some photography ideas I want to try.:wink:

I bought a Touch and signed up to be a developer so I could play a little. Have some photography ideas I want to try.:wink:

I am interested in your ideas. I bought the 32G Touch 3 weeks ago. It is awesome for me on the road: 2,650 contacts, 1000 songs, 9 movies, about 500 photos, approx. 2/3 full. Please post your findings. I'd like to see what you do with it.

I am interested in your ideas. I bought the 32G Touch 3 weeks ago. It is awesome for me on the road: 2,650 contacts, 1000 songs, 9 movies, about 500 photos, approx. 2/3 full. Please post your findings. I'd like to see what you do with it.

First I have to decide if its worth the $100 for me to become a developer. :rolleyes:

I will let you know if I decide to push forward with it.

Charles,

I'd be interested in hearing about your ideas too ! I'll be getting an iPod Touch this coming week-end.

I am now registered and starting the learning process. I will start with some simple things first, but I think the iPhone will be in my future development plans.:smile:

The last language I learned was Delphi.:eek: Dating myself now. Carbon dating.:tongue:

Latest threads

Top Bottom