Review 3LeggedThing Vyv tiny review

During my trip to the Falklands I took my newly acquired 3LT Vyv tripod with me. This is a small travel tripod with the following specs:
  • Tripod with ballhead weighs: 1.3kg
  • Minimum height: 12cm
  • Maximum height: 98cm (no centre column), 103cm (centre column down), 135cm (centre column up)
  • Folded: 32cm
  • Supported weight: 10kg
  • Leg sections: 5
  • Includes ballhead: AH0
I had planned to do some long exposures along the shores and some normal landscape photography.

The former was made impossible due to the extreme winds we had during our stay. I tried to set up the Fuji X-T1 with 10-24 lens and Hitech ND filter and the combo was just rocking in the wind. Even with my bag hanging from the hook underneath the centre column the wind was tugging at the filter. But even people with much sturdier tripods had difficulty getting any long exposure shots so I wasn't feeling too bad.

General landscape shots was no problem although I didn't use the tripod that often. Setting up was a breeze but took a bit more time courtesy of the 5 leg sections but the tripod and ballhead proved capable of supporting both the Fuji X-T1 and also the D7100 with 80-400VR. Handling was smooth but not as precise as my Markins M10 head. But when locked the camera didn't move, even when positioned at odd angles. For the D7100/80-400VR combo I found that extending the fourth and fifth leg section reduced stability considerably but when weighted down with e.g. my camera bag it was no problem.

All in all I'm happy with the tripod and would recommend it to everybody looking for a small travel tripod at an affordable (for me) price.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the review! It's always nice to hear about "real world" experiences with the lightweight travel tripods.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom