3rd Party Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by guc32, Sep 11, 2008.

1. guc32

guc32

Feb 23, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Just got my D700 in the mail today. WOOT!!!

I put on my Nikon 50 f1.8 and shot away. Then i put on my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and shot away with that also.

Then i went to check them out on the computer and notice that on the Siggy it autoed to DX size. Does the D700 not reconize the 3rd party lens as an FX lens? Is my Siggy not consider a FX lens?

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 II Macro

2. Stick to Nikon! :wink:

It probably doesn't recognize it, you'll have to set your D700 on manual regarding DX lenses.

3. guc32

guc32

Feb 23, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Bah. I was hoping that wasnt the case.

4. guc32

guc32

Feb 23, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Dang put on my Tamron 17-50 and have it set on auto and guess what. It stays on FX with that lens.

Time to get some Nikon lenses. :biggrin:

5. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    My Sigma 70-200 works fine on my D700. However, it does not recognize my Tokina 12-24 as a DX lens. The camera probably needs info programed into the lens chip, that 3rd party lenses don't have, to use the auto switching feature. For me it is just as well. The Tokina works just fine in FX mode down to about 19mm, so I turned Auto DX off.

6. Send the lens back to Sigma and they will re-chip it. They're having the opposite problem with the 10-20. If you still have the receipt, they should re-chip it for free, even if it's out of warranty.

7. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

shouldnt even need the recept.

8. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    I set my "func" button to DX/FX switch which darkens the viewfinder in crop mode and I also leave my camera in manual so no guessing. Pretty easy to do and you always know if you're in FX/DX mode due to the darkening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.