3rd party Wide Angle Options for AF-S (CPU lenses)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by KAEPhoto, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Forgive me if this has been addressed, but after 20 min of searching, I thought I'd post.

Does anyone know if there any 3rd party wide angle fixed or zoom (e.g. 12-24) lenses compatible with the Nikkor AF-S type lenses? I am just beginning to realize how limited the options are for us D40x owners.... I read good things about the Tamron 12-24, but it seems like it is incompatible with my camera body.

2. I'm assuming you mean Tokina 12-24 :) (since the Tamron is 11-18) but pretty much you're limited to either the Nikon 12-24 AF-S, the Sigma 10-20 HSM, or if you want to go all out though I don't see the point, 12-24 Sigma HSM that works on film as well (if you use film cameras that is, otherwise it's wasted money compared to the 10-20 Sigma)

Nikon is the winner hands down but the Sigma is half the price and a bit wider with pretty good performance as well, there are many reviews online comparing all 4 DSLR ultrawides if you want to read more.

I've owned the Sigma for 7 months and loved it. I have shot the Nikon and couldn't justify the price (yet). I currently have the Tokina 12-24 and it's awesome as well.

Since you have the D40x, pretty much back to my first paragraph: pretty much 10-20 Sigma or 12-24 Nikon :smile:

Good luck!

3. Dennyd80

Dennyd80 Guest

The Sigma 10-20 is an excellent wide zoom. Very sharp lens and half the price of the Nikon 12-24. The extra 2mm on the wide end of the sigma makes a big difference.

I use mine on a regular basis and love it.

4. yes, I meant the Tokina 12-24. Thanks for the helpful responses. I'll look into the Sigma 10-20. If a Sigma lens says HSM, does that mean it will work with the D40x? Just curious what compatible 3rd party lenses there might be out there.

5. Yes, HSM is Sigma's way of saying "Silent Wave Motor" or AF-S in Nikon terms without getting sued by Nikon.
    Added Bonus - HSM stands for HyperSonic Motor, doesn't that sound fast and awesome? :biggrin:

Yes again, Sigma and Nikon are the only 2 companies that has AF-S/HSM technology for Nikon cameras, so with D40/D40x you're pretty much limited to these 2 if you want AF to work. Other AF lenses will meter, but not AF. Looking at your sig, by adding a 10-20 will effectively cover your 10-200 pretty well and should be enough for most photography out there, unless you want macro or ultrafast lenses < F/2.

[correction]There is currently a list of AFS primes would also include the AFS 200 f2, 300 f4, 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8, 500 f4, 600 f4 Nikon prime lens, AF Micro Nikkor 105mm VR, but these are very expensive: >$800 that will AF with it, meaning you'll miss out on classics like the 50mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 3rd party lenses from Tokina and Tamron, many of which will produce stunning image quality wide open and can be had for less than $400.
    If I recall correctly, currently for Nikon you can only get the 30mm F1.4 prime from Sigma for this camera and get AF.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  6. hehe! indeed it does. Sounds like it will even fly :biggrin:.

A little googling led me to this page, a list of Sigma lenses that are compatible with the D40/X.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/news/news.asp?nID=3289

Nice to know there are a growing number of options!

7. No doubt :smile:, eventually pretty much all lenses will move towards having some sort of AF-S motor built in (seems like Canon is already there mostly) so as new lenses are added, your choices will only grow.
    I started photography with a very limited budget so hunting for "classics" 2nd hand was a must and so decided the body I had to get, well that and the fact that D40/D40x wasn't out yet, lol :cool:

Happy shooting!

8. There are many discussions about wide zooms on all the photo forums. For a D40 or D40X the Nikon and the two Sigmas are the only choices. I'd search the forums and do some reading. You'll find many opinions. Chinesetunna says it's the Nikkor hands down. I'd say the Sigma 12-24 is the pick of the litter. YMMV. Be well and shoot lots.

P.S. Consider a different body for more and better lens options.

9. hkgharry

hkgharry

Apr 1, 2007
    Hong Kong
    I believe a list of AFS primes would also include the AFS 200 f2, 300 f4, 300 f2.8, 400 f2.8, 500 f4 and 600 f4.

10. Ouch :redface: caught me red handed - I was constricted in my thinking in the under < 100mm range and under $800 new when I made that statement. I apologize and has corrected my post :rolleyes:

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens to some of the 3rd party lens manufacturers if sales of the D40/D40x really take off and/or Canon decides to follow a similar route. Neither Tamron nor Tokina have ever produced silent-wave motors for any of the lenses, so their whole lineup is essentially worthless to D40 users.

12. They'll get over it. They all make lenses for C*n*n, and they have been USM since they killed the FD mount at the dawn of the AF age. It will take the other third parties some time to turn over their Nikon mounts, but it won't be anything impossible. Everyone else (Olympus, Pentax at least, I assume Sony) is going for internal motors now too.

13. BEWARE!

This just means the lenses will mount and meter on a D40/D40x, but only the the ones with "HSM" in their names will Autofocus! The others (without HSM) will only be manual Focus.

Most of these listed lenses are are out or will be released with HSM. But the predecessors are without HSM.

14. Whether or not the list actually calls out the HSM moniker, all of the lenses on the list ARE HSM lenses, with the definite exception of the 80-400 OS and the possible exception of the 14/f2.8. The 80-400 OS is not an HSM lens, but as the note correctly points out, it DOES have an internal focus motor and it DOES autofocus with the D40/D40x. The 14/f2.8 I have seen is not an HSM lens either, and it would appear that it is no longer offered by Sigma. (It has not been in the Sigma lens catalog, either US or UK, for over a year.) I'd be careful about that one.

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Canon lenses are not all USM, and I don't think Tamron or Tokina have ever made a USM lens for Canon mount.

16. All EOS lenses have internal motors. They have to - the bodies don't have AF motors. Whether or not they're called USM is another story, and I'm not sure about that part. But I'm certain that the AF bodes do not have motors.

17. It will be very interesting to see how the development of new lenses goes, and whether more have internal af motors. If the bodies that use these lenses are all consumer models, then you may have the volume of bodies out there to drive some demand, but not necessarily the highest lens quality...I hope I'm wrong.

Get another body...<sigh>. I join this forum a WEEK after getting a D40X and already I see limitations. :frown: Believe me, I have caught the lens, flash, body, etc, lust big-time. But, even If I upgrade, I think that the D40X would still be a great camera as a second or when I just want to travel light.

I can look this up, but if I did get a D80 or D200 or something, how do those cameras deal with internal drive lenses? Does the internal lens drive get automatically deactivated or are they just incompatible. This might influence how much I invest in internal drive lenses.

PS. I think I want to buy a 50mm f/1.8. I think this is an AF (non-internal drive lens), which means I focus manually, but can still meter. Right? I don't mind manually focusing (I never had AF on my film SLR), and I could use a sharp, fast lens.

18. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    Another Vote for the SIGMA 10-20

One of my favorite lenses!

[​IMG]

19. 2nd that!

20. That is correct - there were some AF lenses from Canon on the FD mount, just seems like they started developing and integrating USM way earlier than Nikon did, EOS was a bold move to force their loyalists to start over again but it seems to be paying off in the long run.
    I have been told that the USM motors in different lenses also different, only the high end ones get the ring based high speed ones we all love and enjoy in the Nikon AF-S lenses. In fact, I've read many reports that their 50mm F1.4 USM is actually slower to focus than the Nikon 50mm AF-D 1.4.