4 BIRDIES FROM TODAY

Discussion in 'Birds' started by greyflash, Feb 26, 2005.

1. I need help in identifying these birds (except for the dove). These were all shot with my D2H and 300mm f2.8 lens (handheld). It was early morning and I kicked up the ISO to 400 to give me a little more shutter speed.

OK I have the ID's on the birds:
    Mourning Dove

Female American Robin

White Crowned Sparrow

Sharp Shinned Hawk

2. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Oh sure, make it easy Gordon. The only one I could get was the Mourning Dove and you already knew that.

I'm going to take some absolute shots in the dark here and not be in the slightest bit surprised if I'm 100% wrong.

Anyway, I'm guessing the second image is a Vireo, possibly a Cassin's Vireo. (Percent of certainty that it's even a Vireo is low)

The third image, I'll plump for a White-crowned sparrow. A little more confident on this one, but wouldn't be surprised at being wrong - again.

The raptor - not a clue, but possibly a Sharp-shinned Hawk. It's beautiful whatever it is.

Here endeth my guesses.

Oh and nice shots Gordon.

Neil

3. I'm pretty sure you are right on the Sharp Shinned Hawk but the Vireo, I don't have a clue. I've never even heard of a Vireo. I also think the Sparrow may be correct as well. I have my bird lady (a friend) taking a look at them and she will give me the ID's. Thanks for you comments and for trying with the identification.
    Here endeth my guesses.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images Gordon.

I'm not sure on any except the dove. The second almost looks like our Mocking Bird but morning color makes it difficult. Do you have those. ???

Well what ever they are, great job.

Cheers
    Gale

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Florida Mocking Bird

Gordon,

This is what the Mocking bird looks like in Florida. I do know they are in several parts of the country.

Looks dull on bpase. grrrr Oh well, gives you an idea anyway.

Regards
    Gale

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    PS: Looks good here. I think. Having monitor calibration probs. No one seem to be offering any opinions on color or sharp or dull or light or dark.

So tell me how it looks to you.

Thank You
    Gale

7. Hi Gale and thanks for your comments and comparison image. I have a resident Mockinbird in my back yard and I'm very familiar with them. It may well be a Mockingbird but the thing that throws me is the color on his breast and the complete ring around his eye. Also his beak has some yellow on it instead of the all black of a Mockingbird. I have my neighbor who is a resident bird lady that will take a look at this as well as several other images in order to help me ID them.

8. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    WOOO HOOOOO!!! I got two out of three IDs right!

There's a first for everything.

I think I'm more pleased with this than with getting a great shot. :LOL:

And now that the one I missed has been ID'd as Robin, I can see it for what it is. Dumb of me to have missed that.

Neil

9. Gordon

Nice captures I am no means a bird expert so I will leave the ID's up to someone with more knowledge in that area. Nice shots and handheld at that you are more steady than I.

10. Neil your amazing, what else can I say. From now on I will come to you with all bird questions.

Mike, thanks for your comments. As for being steady, I'm sure I am not. At my age it's just good to be able to hold the 300mm f2.8.