4 K screen and font size...Need input

I have been shopping for a laptop. One store pointed out a difficulty with the 4 K and icon or font size, and what he said was a drag and drop and pointer issue, said I should stick with 1080.

I asked why I could not scale up the fonts/icons and he replied with an answer I did not under stand, at that point I was ready to leave as his price was well over my 1800$ insurance payment.

I had hoped to settle this today or tomorrow as build time is 8/10 days. I liked Origin, but too much needless to me stuff comes with all that muscle, I would have liked to have the lifetime repair deal

4k on a laptop is extremely fine pitched.
Windows (assumed) is getting better at scaling for this pixel density, but still has a way to go.
I run a 32x18 display on my 14" laptop and there are pluses and minuses.
As you might guess, standard fonts are VERY small....but apps are getting smarter.
However anything legacy (like a DOS command window) will be super small and hard to read.

For photo editing and working with multiple windows at a time it excels - however high-DPI and good color depth are a rare combination.
So be cautious as you proceed as color quality could ruin the experience.

If you do any sharing of your desktop, the people you share with will hate you because you will overrun their "normal" screens.
Any projectors you attach will go crazy unless you declare them a secondary display with appropriate resolution.

Thanks guys. Sorry I did not search the issue, but I was just going to buy when the 4K issue came to mind, and I had sent an email to HP about a purchase, I put him off to tomorrow.
What I read about CS 6 worries me.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
In Windows, command windows can easily be configured to different font sizes.

Programs like browsers and word processors have their own scale adjustments.
While reading this message hold down the Ctrl key and press + a few times. Now try with - and then with 0 (zero).

PS CS6 will never work properly as it has lots of little icons and Adobe no longer supports CS6. Later versions do support 4K.

I guess you get a lot of these ignorant questions, and I thank you for your time and effort.
Thanks Richard I use that, but what is the PS program beside the cloud, that does support 4K. I was under the imprssion that CS6 was the last disc you could buy. I am seeing confusing commmnets if Photomechanic will play nice with 4K and I use it all the time. Then there are other bit of freeware I would wonder about. I guess setteled on a HP Omen, Any thoughts on this, I hope to buy ina few hours whenHP calls back.
Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ (2.6 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M (4GB GDDR5 dedicated)
Microsoft home office, not trial.
Samsung m.2 512 GB, 16 GB ram,

So do you think 4K is safe to buy/use or is it just a personel crap shoot ?. I asked at the store about scaleing the fonts, and I did nit understand his negative reply, this was nit a big box, but the local really nice store where the guys have been therr forever.

>>> I was under the impression that CS6 was the last disc you could buy. >>>

CS6 was issued four years ago and is extremely outdated now: there have been four major Upgrades since 2012!

A subscription to Adobe's Photographers' package, for only $10 per month, would give you access to all the new features, tools, capabilities and speed which have been added during the past four years.

Buying the latest in hardware (cameras, lenses and computers) and then penny-pinching on software has always seemed to me to be a very foolish and short-sighted practice.

>>> I was under the impression that CS6 was the last disc you could buy. >>>

CS6 was issued four years ago and is extremely outdated now: there have been four major Upgrades since 2012!

A subscription to Adobe's Photographers' package, for only $10 per month, would give you access to all the new features, tools, capabilities and speed which have been added during the past four years.

Buying the latest in hardware (cameras, lenses and computers) and then penny-pinching on software has always seemed to me to be a very foolish and short-sighted practice.

Thanks, but a fixed income does not allow for latest and greatest. I am wondering how a big a download that would be with CC, seems PS is way over a GB, that could be an issue here in the woods. I guess 10$ is about the $300/$330 we paid every few years for PS. Seems like I have been paying forever, or at least since 2000. I saw the haze remover/fixer, that would be nice.

That is really the point: the Photographers' package costs almost exactly the same as did the annual purchase of the old Ps CS programs — actually rather less because the CC package includes, Ps, Lr and Bridge.

Limited bandwidth could be a problem if you live out in the sticks but many people get around it by taking their machine to somewhere like Starbucks and doing the download there.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom