4 new Red Shoulders in Willow

Well today I was able to get a good look in the nest with my scope and I was sure I saw 4 new young. I took my 500 +1.4 on my 1dm2n and set up at a good spot. Light was not good as it was overhead and behind the nest but still the photos show 4 for sure. I was well hidden and using a partial blind from behind my neighbors house and about 90 feet from the nest and uphill from it for a really good view. In cases like this I take the photos and leave ASAP as I don’t want to disturb her from feeding four young
Lou

#1 FF of 4 fighting for a spot in line.
512198299_0f30ee17f5_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 a little help by blowing to 50%. It's getting harder to get in with the leaves growing so fast now and always a few small branches in the way.
512198303_477513521e_o.jpg

#3 FF one young with Mom
512198291_715f85146c_o.jpg

#4 again a 50% blow up. Note fly or bug on leave to right top
512198293_c0d5eac772_o.jpg

#5 The last and it looks like to me it's saying we fooled you, we fooled you we are 4 of a kind. HA,HA,HA
512198289_58a97de398_o.jpg

Lou

That's a nice series, Lou! Please keep us update on these little guys!

Thanks Tim, yes I will as I check on them with a scope about every 3 days from the wagon and for a photo about each 10 days at this time and later as they grow a little more often as they are left alone so both parents can hunt.
Lou

I looked at this earlier today and am as jealous as can be! Good stuff Lou! I always enjoy the education your posts provide.

Those look like late chicks, Most hawks have fledged here

I think Gary you will find your area is way ahead of us up here in the North. I have her incubating on April 4 and these take about 33 days but on April 15 we had 16 inches of snow and the nest looked like a white mound but she hung in there. I was afraid the cold would come up through the bottom of the nest as rolling the eggs with all that snow is a problem but she did it and I could not believe she had 4 as I was sure it would be maybe 2 from all that cold. Thanks for the look.
Lou

I looked at this earlier today and am as jealous as can be! Good stuff Lou! I always enjoy the education your posts provide.

Thanks Andy. What you say is what I do as I don't consider myself a good wildlife photographer but good enough to provide the info a photo does for the DEC as they are always interested in all my findings. I have been doing this for them a long time and I really enjoy myself at it. My age is starting to get in my way though.
Lou

Latest threads

Top Bottom