4 or 16 channel eBay triggers ?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by fireman, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I'm slowly setting up a Strobist kit and I want to go wireless. Pocket Wizards are out of the equation at this time. Radio Popper Jr sound really good but there are still many unanswered questions about them. The SkyPorts are interesting but I find them a bit expensive for what they do so I'm looking more and more into the eBay triggers.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and moding them to obtain better performance/range out of them. There are many sites that provide solutions for their shortcomings and I feel they will provide what I'm looking for for a fair amount of money.

With all that said, should I be looking for the 4 or 16 channel models ? I don't see when I would need more than 4 channels so it's probably what I'll buy but what about reliability and performance. Are the 16 channel triggers better in those departments ?

Any other comments on why I should choose the 16 channel triggers over the 4 ones ?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Only if you will be shooting in situations with several other photographers using radio triggers.

3. isayx3

isayx3

Apr 12, 2008
    Corona, Ca
    I used the 4 channel version (ordered straight from Gadget Infinity site) for several months and I found them to be reliable. Most the time my flashes were pretty close. I also used a PC sync cable instead of mounting them on the reciever. I hear some ebay versions do not have a pc sync port.

Also check out the cybersyncs...
    http://www.alienbees.com/cybersync.html

Really inexpensive and I've read some actually like them over the skyports (they use regular AA batteries and a lot cheaper). Not as cheap as the ebay ones..but I think higher quality.

4. kenyee

kenyee

Jan 12, 2008
    Boston, PRofMA
    The 4 channel's PC port needs to be epoxied down or it'll break eventually. Really depends on whether you want hotshoe support or not (the 16-channel ones don't have hotshoe support). I bought the 4 channels from midwest photo and have had no problems (reliability probably at 95%).
    There are now 8 channel ones as well, but they took out the PC sync port (they switch to normal batteries though).
    I'd also suggest looking at the cybersyncs depending on your budget. You can get a full set of 4-channel fleabay triggers for around $90 but I wouldn't use them for a critical event like a wedding. They're fine for studio use or to learn about remote lighting though.

5. I finally bought the Phottix PT-04 4-Channel Flash Trigger with 3 Receivers (http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180288518567) on eBay. I bought these because the receivers used AAA batteries and since I have a bunch of rechargeable ones that I don't currently use, that will take care of that.

From my limited use since I received them earlier this week, range has not been a problem but I still intend to mod the transmitter's antenna later this fall. I also plan to install a mini phone jack on the receivers as they currently will only trigger the flash through the hot shoe and I don't like that as it brings the flash head way to far from the center of the umbrella. I prefer using them like pocket wizards and the like and suspend them from the strobe or the light stand.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied of my new toys. The whole set cost me less than a CyberSync receiver alone and I can trigger my 3 strobes. If I don't get the Strobist bug, I won't loose much and if it really clicks, well, I for sure will start looking for something else once I have exceeded these little triggers' capabilities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.