4 Shots Submitted To Juried Show

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jfenton, Aug 18, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Ok...Mark asked to see the 4 shots which I submitted so he / you could guess which were accepted......these are in no particular order...and they all looked way better in print / framed.

These are not at all what I consider to be 4 of my best shots, but I thought that I had learned from previous experiences that you need to give them something to get rid of because from what I've experienced previously, they never keep everything which you submit.

Now that I look at these..the colors are substantially off from what the prints look like...these all look a fair bit colder than the printed ones.

A) Titled as "NATURES SENTINEL"
    original.

B) Titled as "AFTER THE STORM"
    original.

C) Titled as "SIMPLICITY"
    original.

D) Title as "RETURNING HOME"
    original.

2. Jim, these are all breathtaking but my guess would be #1 and #3 are the qualifiers!

3. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Kevin...

You got one of them correct.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jim, #1 has to be a qualifier, how could they not accept that image? I just sit and stare at it...amazing. The sunset is very nice... The third image is very nice, a rare capture. And the last image is very nice as well. I'm thinking that the second and fourth image are more easily captured than the first and third.

If they didn't accept the first image, let me know...I'll drive there and punch them in the throat! :x

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hey Engine...

You might want to practice your beating up procedures.

6. Jim, I'm going to guess #2 and #3. All the images are outstanding but judges love sunsets and image #3 is not only beautiful but it is also different. Composition is really neat on this one and I predict it will win.

7. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Gordon

Hi...

You got one correct.

8. All that is left are #3 and #4 so let's go with that. All four of these images are winners in any event.

9. Well, I'd go for 1 and 3 if I had to, but 1, 2, 3 and 4 is a better choice I think.

10. Wow, these are terrific images! There's no way I could choose - like Gordon said, they're all winners.

11. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    They're all great but 1 & 3 are the standouts for me. That said I think I can understand why 4 caught their attention, the fact that you "made eye contact" sets this apart from typical the bird-in-flight shot IMHO.

12. Thanks Jim.

I guess I would not make a good judge cause me likes them all. I tried not to read other posts as not to influence my answers. I would gladly hang any of these in my house, place of business or wherever.

So let me try (and I mean try) to think like a judge cause I know they have so much more training than me. Hey wait - I do not have any training - just a little experience if you can call it that.

So I say... and this is tough either B&D or A&C. Hedge my bets I suppose.
    A) The eyes are intense. The bird is sharp and I like the background.
    B) What I can say. That is just awesome. I luv sunset/sunrise pics.
    C) Love the framing and calmness of it
    D) The fact the you got him looking right at you is just incredible.

Jim I give you 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. What else can I say?

**Now I will go back and look at the other posts and your comments.

13. In the 1980's and early 90's I used to judge International Photographic Competitions in the UK which were affiliated to the PSA and FIAP. ie. The Photographic Society of America and Federation of International Art Photographic. So I have looked at the 4 images and can say that if I was one of the 3 judges Then I would have given the following marks:-
    No 1. 3 or perhaps 4 marks : No 2. 3 marks: No 3: 5marks and Number 4. 4 marks.
    This would mean that number 3 would definatly be accepted, and number 4 would probably be accepted but 1 and 2 would not. The reason for this is that to get an acceptance you had to get at least 12 points out of a possible 15 unless one judge gave a 5 to any picture.
    What is the betting I have got it wrong, and that is why there are always 3 judges It gives a balanced view and no one judge can dominate the final outcome.
    BW. Bob F.

14. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Folks...

The third and 4th ones were the ones that got accepted.

I got a little abitious yesterday and tracked down one of the judges, simply because I thought it might help in the future to learn why the owl wasn't accpted......I was told that her assumption was that it must have been a captive bird somewhere (which it wasn't). and that she felt the shot was lacking emotion???????? ...

So what if it had been? If you shoot a picture of a horse, there's a good chance that there's a fence somewhere keeping it in???????????????????

15. Ok, so I got it right BUT what the judge said was ridiculous.

Any competition should have a rule that states that all images should be marked LWF for Living Wild and Free or C for Captive.

BW. Bob F.

16. Jim, if I had been on the jury I would have choosen all the 4 pictures.

17. Jim, great stuff, but for me #1 doesn't "grab" me as much as the others. I think it is because the owl seems to be so "straight on" maybe, really hard to articulate. Still, it is a really cool image.

Bob, not to hijack Jim's thread but hopefully to enhance it, can you please explain why you would have given the marks the way you did? Trying to get into the heads of judges is, I think, one of those "things that well never be done" :wink: , but it would certainly help me if I can get a better understanding of what you were/are looking for.

Thanks,

18. Ye Gods.
    I have just read your question after typing out a whole analysis of all 4 images after getting a PM from Jim.
    Can Jim PLEASE copy and paste my reply to the forum so as to answer Bill's question as this will save me at least another 30 minutes typing.

BW. Bob F.

19. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Bob's response and My Response

"
    How nice to hear from you.

You have basically hit the nail on the head. I would judge over a single day 3500 to 4500 slides in 2 sections. Natural History and Pictorial.

In both sections the judges were looking for something special and only about 15% were ever accepted. We also got used to what was achievable in its country of origin. For instance, in the early 80's African wildlife invariably got accepted until travel to this continent became more common place and we realised that what we thought was BRILLIANT was actually easily achievable.

So let us look at the 4 Images and accept that they are LWF.

1. The Owl is a beautiful image and I wish it was mine, but where is the WOW FACTOR. There isn't one, and although the exposure-detail etc is spot on, there is nothing that makes me go 'NOW that is something special.'

2. Not a chance in hell. Despite the fact that sunsets are beautiful they are in the OH THAT'S NICE category, and to get a sunset accepted it needs to be VERY VERY EXCEPTIONAL. This one is not.

3. Now this in my opinion would be well worth considering for a 'Commended' award,' 'Best Bird' award, and a medal or 'Best in Show.' Hence the 5. Put aside what you know it took to get this image as against the Owl as the judges do not know this and look at the image.
    It is stunning, as not only is the bird beautifully shown but IT IS PICTORIAL and that is what makes it special.

4. Judges are allowed to ask a question hence the LWF designation. My question would have been, 'Is this from a UK photographer,' because if was then it would have got a certain 4 and might have scraped a 5, but a North American image would have got a 3 or a 4. In this instance a 4 is the right mark as the bird is doing something and there is a interaction between the bird and photographer. Again it is down to the ease of getting the subject in its country of origin, not the ease of access or the degree of difficulty of getting the image.

You may battled through a storm force blizzard for 6 hours to get the owl and although you know that the judges do not. For all they know it could be in your back garden. This is why the WOW factor is so important. A static image would have to be extra special to get accepted.

I hope that this helps you with your future submissions, and please feel free to ask my opinion on other images at anytime.
    You have my email address.

BW> Bob F. "

My response to Bob....

“In all honesty, the sunset and osprey were entered for the sole reason of having something out of the 4 which the judges could easily disqualify

The owl is a puzzle. In all honesty, it looks like crap by itself. Framed, the colors are much richer and the overall scene of an owl...in a pine tree...on fresh snow with pine cones under his feet gathers WOWS from everyone who sees it in person...and it sells like hotcakes. Unframed...it's a cute owl shot. Sometimes I guess that it's all in the presentation

20. I would certainly buy a copy of the Owl for it is a beautiful image for hanging on a wall, but not necessarily for an exhibition.
    Horses for courses.

Best wishes.

bob F.