4 white dog portraits and a black swan.

Discussion in 'Birds' started by tojor, Oct 18, 2005.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I don't shoot many birds. Would like to though. Instead I shoot many dog pics. I'm trying to capture the spirit of my breed, the Samoyed. Here's a couple of headshots. Comments are welcome.

2. I like them! Retaining that white detail w/a dark background takes skill...

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is one beautiful pup. I especially like the first. All are great.

Now swans, you can't go wrong. Beautiful.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Torben,

Excellent shots of some really cute pups. I agree with Jim that you did a great job on the exposure. Are these working dogs or just pets?

5. wow! absolutely wonderful!

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thank you Jim, Gale, Frank and Dave. I appreciate your comment very much.

It is very hard to take pictures of white dogs, to get enough detail and avoid blown highlights. But I'm getting better.

They are both pets and working dogs. They like just like a normal pet most of the time and I train them in front of a three-wheeled rig og sled in the winter. We share about 600-700 miles on the trail together every winter training or racing.

Here's a few action shots.

7. Beautiful dogs and beautiful shots!! Nicely done!!

8. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Kevin. I'll tell the dogs. :smile:

9. Torben, I love them. #4 is my favorite... looking at it with an artist eye (I paint watercolors and have actually done a Samoyed)... I love the expression and all the subtle colors in the fur. I see shades of blue, salmon, pink, beige... just a wonderful picture.

Question ... regarding the nose... I see in the first pic the nose appears "faded" In labradors (the yellow ones) in the winter the noses will fade. It is called "snow nose" and in the summer the nose will darken up again. As the dog ages the "snow nose" eventually stays and the pigment does not darken again in the summer... does this happen with Samoyeds too?

Also, the Samoyed's I'm used to seeing generally have blue eyes and seem a bit "stockier" in build... it's probably breeder preference but I'm just wondering.

Beautiful dogs. They would melt where I live ... it's too hot.

10. Torben,

These are some great pictures of wonderful animals/pets/workers. I particularly love the #4 portrait and the dogs at play, in your later post. Yes, you've done very well keeping the highlights in check. Shooting in a shadowed area certainly helps. I have that problem too, to a lesser extent, with my golden retriever, Belle.

11. harvey_g

harvey_g

May 13, 2006
    Beautiful, Torben. Thanks for sharing. As you know, I share the love of both pets and working dogs.

12. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Raian.
    Regarding your question. Yes the Samoyed have "snow noses" too.
    There is a variations in Samoyeds. Lots of breeder have fallen for the more chubbier English type with longer coat. I prefer the original working dog with longer legs and shorter coat. My male dog in #1 is actually imported from a breeder in Wisconsin. I went back with him in 2000 for some shows in Ohio, Virginia and Pensylvania and for the National Specialty in Frederick, Maryland. Blue eyes are not allowed. Although they prefer cold weather they can deal with hot weather quite well. I know a lady in Orlando, Florida with 4 Sammies.

13. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Harv. I also admired your agility pictures.

This picture is taken this winter when I competed in Sweden for the Nordic Championship for Samoyed. I came in second out of 12 in my class. By the way this picture is taken by a friend of mine with her 20D. :biggrin:

original.

14. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Philipe. Sometimes it's hard to avoid burned our highlights in the white coat when the light is too harsh.

15. harvey_g

harvey_g

May 13, 2006
    Torben, your dogs look wonderful.

I have a friend here in Canada who breeds Sammies as well as English Pointers. Her Sammies are of the stockier build, long haired variety. There is quite a difference in appearance. She is a professional show handler and her dogs are all bred for show, with very little (if any) natural ability. What a shame.

Good for you!

16. djtexus

djtexus

Feb 24, 2006
    Great images, Torben,
    You have some beautiful animals, for sure.

17. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Harv.

About breed type. Just spoken right out of my mouth Harv.

18. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Thanks Dave. I appreciate your comments and so do my dogs.

19. They are all really good shots! My favs are 2 & 4. Great action shots! Looks like they are very happy dogs!

20. Toben,
    My preference is the second shot. Exudes personality to me. Great looking dogs. Who does all the brushing? :smile: