400 2.8 AFS w/tele's

Anyone want to share their non-VR 400mm f/2.8 lens images.

With and without teleconverters...even better on D2x and D3.

I shot these with a D3, 400mm & 1.7 TC

Gary

1)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

13)

14)

15)

16)

17)

Wow Gary, were you in a plane when you took those?

Looks pretty sharp even with the 1.7x. Tossing around in my head selling the 300 2.8 and picking up the 400 to get back the length lost with full frame. At the same time arguing why not go for 500mm without the converter.

So... 400 f/2.8 becomes 650mm at with wide open f/4.6 with the 1.7x and would give me 400mm inside hockey rinks and such where 500mm might be too much.

Does it sound like I am talking myself into something?

Anyone made similar choice lately that would like to share what they ended up with and if they are satisfied?

New VR lenses are not an option right now, will be looking at used AF-s versions.

thanks

I've found the 400 f/2.8 AF-S II with TC-17E and TC-14E to be very sharp combos with the D3. Especially with the AF-fine tune feature. Much more acceptable than with the D2X. I'd post some examples but SmugMug is sick just now.

Kurt:
Several years ago I shot a couple games of the Calgary Flames with a 500 F4P. To much lens IMO. And I was up in the upper deck to gain more distance.
When I used to shot the Mac's major midged tournament we used 85 1.4 (ice level by the goal)- 180 2.8 and 300 2.8 (penalty boxes) . but we where shooting hockey cards so that needs to be factored in(single players vertical and tight). If your upper at the blue line the 300 2.8-400 2.8 is far better choice. I got a 400 2.8 ED_IF AIS and it's the cats meow on a D3. So is the 200 F2 ED-IF AIS. Just amazing. Inside dark arena's which are most of them having the F2 is really helpfull in getting a 750 sec shutter speed ISO 1600-6400.
Have you considered going the Nikkor AIS route. I did got 4 big Nikkor telephoto's for the price of one new one. For me at that time is was a good choice. Now that i have a D3, I noticed many of the Big Gun NIkkor AIS are now swallowed up. Keh is a good example. They have none right now. Which is what I thought would happen when the D700 was anounced.
By the way my version of the 400 2.8 AIS behaves nicely with both the TC 14B and the TC 301. Just keep the shutter speeds up and get it in focus. Which is amazing easy with IF and the D3.

Last edited by a moderator:
All D2X + 400 f2.8

100% crop - I'm the blob at the back of the cornea taking the photograph

400mm + tc17 - Snowy Egret

400mm + tc20 - Vermillion Flycatcher

Kurt:
Several years ago I shot a couple games of the Calgary Flames with a 500 F4P. To much lens IMO. And I was up in the upper deck to gain more distance.
When I used to shot the Mac's major midged tournament we used 85 1.4 (ice level by the goal)- 180 2.8 and 300 2.8 (penalty boxes) . but we where shooting hockey cards so that needs to be factored in(single players vertical and tight). If your upper at the blue line the 300 2.8-400 2.8 is far better choice. I got a 400 2.8 ED_IF AIS and it's the cats meow on a D3. So is the 200 F2 ED-IF AIS. Just amazing. Inside dark arena's which are most of them having the F2 is really helpfull in getting a 750 sec shutter speed ISO 1600-6400.
Have you considered going the Nikkor AIS route. I did got 4 big Nikkor telephoto's for the price of one new one. For me at that time is was a good choice. Now that i have a D3, I noticed many of the Big Gun NIkkor AIS are now swallowed up. Keh is a good example. They have none right now. Which is what I thought would happen when the D700 was anounced.
By the way my version of the 400 2.8 AIS behaves nicely with both the TC 14B and the TC 301. Just keep the shutter speeds up and get it in focus. Which is amazing easy with IF and the D3.
Sounds like you shoot hockey the same way I do, mostly for the full verticals. I had given the 200 f/2 some thought but it would simply be too short for anything except inside sports. Appreciate your taking the time to respond.
With the new 400, 500, and 600 VR's I thought the opposite and that places would be flooded with older models with people 'upgrading'

All D2X + 400 f2.8

100% crop - I'm the blob at the back of the cornea taking the photograph

400mm + tc17 - Snowy Egret

400mm + tc20 - Vermillion Flycatcher

The catchlight in the crocs eye is simply awesome...thanks.

I've found the 400 f/2.8 AF-S II with TC-17E and TC-14E to be very sharp combos with the D3. Especially with the AF-fine tune feature. Much more acceptable than with the D2X. I'd post some examples but SmugMug is sick just now.
Thanks Mike, if you get a chance when smugmug is feeling better :smile:

Yes, you guys made me start thinking of longer glass standing around with my tiny 300mm.

Andreas, you sold your 400...what did you replace it with?

Kurt: There is a cherry Nikkor 800 F8 ED-IF AIS on E-bay right now. Box filters and hood. I dont know the price but it was cheap. When it come to value for focal length the classic Nikkor AIS supertelephoto glass is hard to beat. I just checked and the price is at $2000.US with one day left. If I didnt have a Nikkor 800 f 5.6 ED-IF I would be jumping all over it Its 99% clean. It looks new. Brooklin Camera is the seller. Since Iv got my D3 the 800 has been my most used Nikkor super telephoto. Lets face it AF 400 are a dime a dozen, how many Nikkor 800 do you see for sale. Thats because people that got them keep them. the compression and the reach is hard to beat. And the Nikkor 800 F8 ED-IF AIS is really light. Unlike the Nikkor 400 2.8, 600 f4 and the 800 5.6 which are pigs in the weight department. Just thought I would give you a heads up .

Kind Regards Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the 400 AF-S 2.8 - with and w/o the converters. Does a great job, simply the best big lens I have ever used. Wildlife and sports shots a-plenty, but here is a couple with the D2X body that I like-
f 3.5

f 8

All with my D2x and AF-S 400mm f/2.8 (found a great used one)

Straight:

With a TC-14E:

Just a couple (now that SmugMug is back online)

D3, 400 w/ TC-14E

D3, 400 w/ TC-17E

D300, 400 w/ TC-17E

S

scooptdoo

nice cardnals.i love cardnals.because of their deep dark bright red it difficult not to blow red hoghlites.you seem to have pulled it off .nice

Some more lovely examples. Does it do well with a 2x teleconverter? I never owned the Nikon version of a 2x simply due to the horrible (at least the one I owned) performance of a Kenko 2x

Kurt: There is a cherry Nikkor 800 F8 ED-IF AIS on E-bay right now.
Kind Regards Greg
Thanks Greg, that would be a great price for 800mm however would only be good for limited use. I could not really use that for many applications I need the longer focal length for. Perhaps one day I will pick up something like that just for birds.

I keep this around as the topic comes up from time to time.
D3, 400 f2.8 AFS-I, 2.0 + 1.4 TCs stacked. The cell tower is about 750 yards away per Google Earth.

Link to 100% crop...http://www.flickr.com/photos/20047512@N05/2494148802/sizes/o/

Some more lovely examples. Does it do well with a 2x teleconverter? I never owned the Nikon version of a 2x simply due to the horrible (at least the one I owned) performance of a Kenko 2x

Not as good, but not "unusable" I guess. Just a backyard snap with D3, 400, TC-20E.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom