400/2.8 at womens volleyball

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by twig, Oct 19, 2005.

1. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Only long glass I had handy, made shooting challenging, however almost no cropping required, lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    So how are you liking the 400 2.8? Want to get rid of it yet? :biggrin:

Nice shots BTW. Were these taken with a tripod?

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Twig...did you AF through the net or did you turn off the AF and manually pre-focus? I have only shot volleyball once and found it to be quite challenging. I thought it would be tough, but it was difficult to be intuitive enough to anticipate where the next play would go. I shot with the 80-200 VR...can't imagine using a long prime. Nice shooting...as always, Twig.

4. Shooting with a 400mm lens would definitely increase the complexity of shooting Volleyball. I found my 70-200mm to be about right. Good images.

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Not ready to part with the 400/2.8 yet, in fact trying to figure out how to use it for everything, hence the volleyball experiment.

Shots were on a monopod, and I do use AF, sometimes I zone focus on the top tape of the net, then hope the player gets above the net, but I leave AF.
    I don't especially like getting too close to the players, and I tend to shoot all over the court, I feel sometimes like if I manual focused and waited for a kill in the corner for example I might sit all game without getting a shot, so I leave AF on and move around.

It is defintely a challenge to frame shots, but the AD decided to make a 30X40" print and considering I am using a d2Hs I better not crop too much for such an enlargement, so using the 400 was beneficial.

I find volleybal lthe toughest sport I have covered yet, indeed it is hard to know where the ball is going. IT is easy to capture people serving, and once you know the setter you can set up on their side of the net and wait for sets to get those. Kills are the hardest because the ladies rarely get their heads over the net.