400 2.8 on a monopod

Real Name
Randy
anyone use a head on the monopod like the 3232 or the new RRS MH-01 ?
How is handling on the vertical movement ?

Real Name
Randy
400 ? do tell.

next week maybe, I got LL bad for the new 400 and the price is finally under 8k:smile:
I am sick of using the TC on the 300 and living with f4 and the ugly backgrounds...and the 300 on the D3 is not enough reach for fb or soccer

oh, and why should TC cause uglier backgrounds ? DOF is same as 2.8 with no TC ? You just lose a stop of light.

Real Name
Randy
Randy, yes I shoot with the AF-S II 400 f/2.8 on the D3 or D300 and use the MH-01 on a 680B monopod. The MH-01 is so well-made and strong, and the vertical tilt works very well.

thx Mike
I ordered one an hour ago
I like the 3232 _ BP-pro for the 300 2.8 alot & I was hoping the 400 would handle well on the new head...I like the vertical movement you get from the head vs moving the whole mono

I use my AF-S 400mm f/2.8 on my monopod with a 3232 swivel and a RRS clamp.
A very practical combo that works very well in my opinion. The vertical operation is fine (which is why I got a 3232 in the first place).

I will mostly use my tripod with the 400/2.8 - it is a pretty heavy combination with the D2x. But sometimes a monopod is more practical because of needed mobility. I would not want to be without the vertical swivel on it.

Real Name
Randy
I use my AF-S 400mm f/2.8 on my monopod with a 3232 swivel and a RRS clamp.
A very practical combo that works very well in my opinion. The vertical operation is fine (which is why I got a 3232 in the first place).

I will mostly use my tripod with the 400/2.8 - it is a pretty heavy combination with the D2x. But sometimes a monopod is more practical because of needed mobility. I would not want to be without the vertical swivel on it.

thx frits
for BIFs i will be getting a new tripod and a wimberly in time for MI6

Dang Randy, Youre killing me. Ive had LL for the 400 for a long time. I check the prices out about once or twice a month.

Where did you find them under 8K?

Real Name
Randy
Dang Randy, Youre killing me. Ive had LL for the 400 for a long time. I check the prices out about once or twice a month.

Where did you find them under 8K?

beachcamera is 7899 for the usa version which is only 100 more than the afsII sold for

Hi Randy,
I've used my 400 2.8 on a pod for almost 10 years now. Tried the 3232 head w/RRS clamp for a year shooting the NFL. Gave it a good year long work out then went back to the straight RRS lever clamp. I ordered/received the MH-01 and used it at the 1st preseason game. Can we say day and night difference between it and the 3232. You won't regret it. But do order the lens plate from RRS. It provides a lower profile. The plate/grip that comes with the lens puts the lens SO high that it seems very unstable.

Real Name
Randy
Hi Randy,
I've used my 400 2.8 on a pod for almost 10 years now. Tried the 3232 head w/RRS clamp for a year shooting the NFL. Gave it a good year long work out then went back to the straight RRS lever clamp. I ordered/received the MH-01 and used it at the 1st preseason game. Can we say day and night difference between it and the 3232. You won't regret it. But do order the lens plate from RRS. It provides a lower profile. The plate/grip that comes with the lens puts the lens SO high that it seems very unstable.

thx Keith
I included the 400 replacement foot when I ordered the new head/clamp this morning

I use the 486RC II with the 300 f/2.8 but have wanted to upgrade it anyway, would prefer something with a little more precise control on the tension...have heard you can get that with the hydrolic type of ball heads.

Anyway, congrats on the 400 something I am seriously looking for. That beach camera price is nice, perhaps I don't need to wait for a used AFS-II

Real Name
Randy
I use the 486RC II with the 300 f/2.8 but have wanted to upgrade it anyway, would prefer something with a little more precise control on the tension...have heard you can get that with the hydrolic type of ball heads.

Anyway, congrats on the 400 something I am seriously looking for. That beach camera price is nice, perhaps I don't need to wait for a used AFS-II

the best price i have seen on a used afsII was 6k and for me it's worth 1900 more for VR and most importantly the 5yr warranty

I was hoping a lot of 400 f/2.8 owners would "upgrade" to the new version and sell their old ones for 5k and under.

I saw one, and did not hop on it at KEH for 4200. :eek: Went back to grab it a few hours after seeing it and it was already snagged up.

I was hoping a lot of 400 f/2.8 owners would "upgrade" to the new version and sell their old ones for 5k and under.

I saw one, and did not hop on it at KEH for 4200. :eek: Went back to grab it a few hours after seeing it and it was already snagged up.

I got my AF-S 400mm f/2.8 I for $ 3,900 (great condition, metal case etc.). It is a gem and at that price I just could not pass it on :smile:
(see it here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
I got my AF-S 400mm f/2.8 I for $ 3,900 (great condition, metal case etc.). It is a gem and at that price I just could not pass it on :smile:
(see it here)

that is a great price and for that kinda savings i mighta went w/ that one also

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom