400 3.5

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by natethomas, Sep 21, 2008.

1. This is a lens that I would like to acquire for nature photography. I'm watching on one ebay right now (http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Nikkor-ED-400mm-lens-TA11727_W0QQitemZ130255323525QQihZ003QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
    but I have no way of knowing if the lens will even work. I certainly don't want to pay a good chunk of money for a lens that won't work. As it is a mf lens, there is a little less to worry about.

I'd also want to get the lens chipped for my camera.

Any thoughts?

2. If you're using it on your D200, it should work no problem.

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Nate: The Nikkor 400 3.5 ED-IF AIS is one of the sharpest telephoto nikon ever made. Past or present:cool: . You could get it chipped but its really not required IMO if your using D2H/D3 , F4. Perhaps consider grabbing a Wimberly Gimbal head for use on a tripod. While it's possible to handhold the Nikkor 400 3.5 ED-IF AIS at faster shutter speeds. Good luck I really hope you grab the Nikkor 3.5 ED-IF AIS, you will love it.

Gregory

4. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Read Bjørn Rørslett's review here: http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

Since you shott with a D200 these comments in particular are relevant:

"On the high-resolution D200 and D2X, the age of this telephoto designs clearly shows. Although centre sharpness is very good, there is far too much chromatic aberration (CA) to my liking and the images never really spring to life due to the all-over smearing of colours. If you shot it wide open the visible CA is reduced, but stop down and it creeps in everywhere. I have downrated the 400 for these cameras accordingly. However, not all subjects will give troublesome CA, so before ditching the old favourite do give it a field try"

I suspect this old telephoto does better with the newer D300 and D3 since they can automatically correct CA.

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    That page of reviews is starting to show it's age.:tongue:. There is no suspecting the Nikkor AIS telephoto's/Super Telephoto's are fantastic on the D3. I have heard that the classic Nikkor AIS lose there magic on the inferior -1.5 sensers of the D2X and D200. And yet the performance of my 200 F2,400 2.8, 600 4. 800 5.6 AIS while mounted to my D2H is fantastic:wink:. When nikon comes out with a 24 mega pixal high density senser I pray it behaves like my D3/D2h. I stand by my statement that the Nikkor 400 3.5 ED-IF AISis one of Nikon best. However, I may conceed that using them on D2X and D-200( bodys I never use) they might not be as good as there working for me.
    The thing is, you can pick up a used D2h for $600.00 in Ex condition. When I can afford it I wouldnt hesitate twice about adding it to my own collection.

gregory

6. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    So.... didja get it? It's a lotta glass for a grand. :biggrin:

If you shoot raw and use Capture NX, you also get CA correction.

I have a 400/3.5, and it rocks on my D200. Brought my TC-14b back to life too; it was no great shakes with the 200/2 AI unless you stopped down a lot. Haven't tried it my other digital bodies (D1x, D70).

The worst stuff I've got from the 400 was sorta backlit at midday and near wide-open WITH the converter. Anything else looks terrific. Maybe no match for the current 400/2.8s, but then you're not looking for one of those, are you? :wink:

I shoot this one on a monopod, as it beats the heck out of my cheap tripod. I'm sure a Wimberley would be fantastic, so long as it doesn't get in the way of focusing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.