400 AF-S, Great Deal

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by helmet155, Oct 10, 2005.

1. I ALMOST bought this today.

I think it's a great deal...maybe one of you is looking

Nikon 400 F2.8 AF-S

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Brett,

You are one sick individual for posting this. :biggrin:

I've lusted after this lens ever since I first started looking for birding lenses. I wish that you hadn't posted this. What a temptation. :rolleyes:

3. See Frank. That is what I am talking about. This site is killing me in the pocket Book. So JUST BUY IT! And worry about it later....... :smile:

4. It IS a great deal though isn't it?

I have never seen one under 4200!!

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    If you have seen close up how pool equipment at major sports paper gets treated, you might change your mind.

While this is an astoundingly low price for a very robust lens, personally I would pay $1-1.5k more for something that a hobbyist babied.

6. Hmmmmm..........

Hobbyists don't give up that lens.......

GP

7. Great!.
    How many people have gone bankrupt because of "great deals"?

:eek:

A new 400mm is, what, $7500.....?

Good deal if you:
    a. need one. Really.
    b. are Bill Gates' son.
    c. work for the NSA spying on left/and.or/right wing photojournalists.
    d. All of the above.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  8. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    I agree. Two things turn me off: LA Times, and "sold as is"

These things are beat to heck.

9. Haha, I love it. Is it make fun of the equipment I can't afford day?

I was in Glendale this morning visiting an account and stopped by Mel Pierce Camera where this lens is...I was surprised at how nice it actually is. The engraving is there, but it looked a lot better than some of the 300s I've been looking at and also worked perfectly on my D70 that I brought in.

I was curious what the definition of the lens condition meant to the seller and what it meant to me, so I stopped and checked it out.

I must admit, reading the responses here frustrates me a little. I should probably just delete this response right now but since I'm a glutton for punishmet:

Is it jealousy or envy that brings on comments without any facts to back it up? I understand what Twig is saying 100% and don't disagree if you are a moneybag like Vernon t posts above...The seller states the condition is excellent and has awesome feedback...why be rude about it. I was in the area and stopped by because it's a nice camera shop with a lot of stuff. Does his description say "Beat to heck"? Come on, quit with the negativity.

Who really 'needs' photography equipment unless it makes you money in the first place?

Turns out, when I was there, someone bought the lens using the buy it now feature...from my first hand experience with the lens, he got a hell of a deal.

10. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Brett,

Your personal experience proved this lens is a good example. My experience has proven that pool equipment is 90% time not something you'd want to spend any decent money on. Simple as that. In this case it's nice to see that I'm proven wrong; that some pool equipment isn't as bad as I've seen.

Jealousy? Envy? I find that comment incredibly rude considering you know nothing about me. I will stop there.

Yes, I said beat to heck. Like I said, I've had extensive first hand experience with pool equipment. Let me tell you, people don't treat gear as nicely when it's not theirs. Heck, even my PERSONAL equipment gets "beat to heck." It's just a fact of life when your gear goes everywhere.

And, to make it clear, photo equipment makes me money. It makes me all my money.

11. The jealousy thing wasn't pointed at you at all, I know you're a working photog, don't you shoot hockey?

I get frustrated when people (and I do it too as in this post) spout off at the mouth or keyboard without facts. Here I am posting in inquiry and a heads up...

12. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Brett, sorry about that. I was a little frazzled last night and at the end of my rope. Long day...

Anyways, thanks for pointing out what the lens was like in person.