1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

400mm 2.8 ED AI-S - SOMEONE STILL HAVE IT??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AntonioJV, Sep 5, 2008.

1. AntonioJV

AntonioJV

Aug 9, 2007
    SP-Brasil
    Just wondering if someone here at the cafe still uses or have this lens. I found one copy with box in the used market and did not put my hands on it yet and seller (a close friend) told me that is an excellent copy and tack sharp. Not very expensive and front/rear glasses are in very good shape. Cosmetic is not all that good but I really d´ont care about. Maybe someone here could give me some information about this beautiful lens and also post some pictures would be very appreciated too.
    :smile:
    Tks and rgds
    Antonio

2. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    I have a beat up one I use some but not often due to the size. it works well on pro digital bodies. Focus is only as good as you are so at my age it is a bit of a problem if the light is not good or contrasty. Close to as sharp as newer lens if focused right.

3. AntonioJV

AntonioJV

Aug 9, 2007
    SP-Brasil
    thanks for the info. I know! it is too heavy too and maybe I (my son in fact) should use it on a tripod or maybe in a monopod. My son is going to use it for SURF:mad:  and I told......good luck.....
    Even for an "old" lens i´ve read some very good reviews and I really hope to be doing a very good deal.
    Rgds

4. barisaxer

barisaxer

Apr 6, 2006
    Albany OR
    It is a tripod or monopod show only in my opinion. Get a 400mm 3.5 if you want to hand hold surf stuff lots smaller.

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Antonio: The Nikkor 400 2.8 ED-IF AIS is one of Nikons best. My version is a mint copy I bought from a collector in Japan:biggrin:. At least it was mint, now it has some scuffs on the barrel from resting it at a rail at a rodeo:cool: . If your friend is willing to let it go at a good price than grab it. I use mine all the time on a D3/F4s. It's scary sharp and has excellent IQ and bokeh to die for. Its true it's heavy, but once you get to where your going you forget about the weight. Sort of:rolleyes: . The nikkor 400 2.8 ED-IF AIS and a D3 handles so easy on a wimberly my five year old can focus it:biggrin:. If you decide to pull the trigger buy a wimberly head and a good bag to haul it around. I use a Lowe pro trecker 600 and it fit with the hood mounted and camera attached. Other items you might want to pick up are a P.K 13 tube , T.C14 b, TC 301, and 52 polarizer. The tubes and the T.Cs are cheap, but the 52 polarizer expect to pay through the nose.
    For the price Nikkor AIS super-telephotos are second to none.
    Since Iv been banging the Nikkor AIS monkey on the cafe www.keh.com has been out of stock on anything longer than a 200mm. P.M me if you want to see some sample capture's.

Gregory

6. AntonioJV

AntonioJV

Aug 9, 2007
    SP-Brasil
    Tks for your your comments and sugestions. Sent you a PM
    Rgds
    Antonio

7. Please post some samples here :smile:

8. AntonioJV

AntonioJV

Aug 9, 2007
    SP-Brasil
    Yep!! not even one picture? come on! Really looking forward to see some good pictures!
    Tks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.