400mm shoots a mystery bird.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Daves602, May 12, 2007.

1. I have never knowingly spotted this bird before. I am sure they have been hanging around here much longer than I have, 25 years on this block of dirt, but their plumage and colouring just works a treat for camouflage.
    It is called an Olive Backed Oriole.

400mm f/4, 1/60th second.

Comments & critique welcome

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful bird

3. Thanks Gale. I think it is an immature one as the feathers on the wings don't appear to have finished developing.
    Have you noticed that compressed files from smugmug loose a fair bit of detail?

4. I Beam

I Beam Guest

PBase reduce images so that they have a maximum dimension of 800 pixels and the software that does this is not very good so there is a big reduction in quality. Maybe Smugmug is the same. The work around is to add /original.jpg to the end of the URL. See this thread started by Uncle Frank.

Regards

Paul

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I size all my images 800 long side and a low rez to about 100k, they seem to me to be ok on pbase.

In PS I size my pics 8x10 , 72 dpi quality to just about 100k this one 117 and does not seem to have lost anything

Granted a large image at high quality would pro look a tad better and much easier to steal.
    Also if larger folks with slow connections can not view your image. Take to long to load or times out.
    Adding original from pbase will give you a red x more often