1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

43-86

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by LDB415, Jul 3, 2008.

1. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I haven't found anything in about 90 days worth of looking so I trust this isn't a hugely discussed topic beaten to death in the last week. What is the consensus on this lens on a DX camera? When I got started with a Spotmatic F back in the 70's I liked/wanted Nikon partly from lens lust for this lens. Nikon was beyond my young teen budget though. Anyway, I've just always thought this was a neat lens for some reason. Comments appreciated.

2. I got this lens in my FM days. I was never impressed with it then. I tried it on my DSLR's with the same result.
    In my opinion a dog of a lens. I ended up giving it away to a Cafe member who just wanted to toy around with it a bit.

3. This lens was one of the ones that gave zooms a bad name. Woof....

4. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    whenever there is a post made about what is the WORST lens you have even owned that lens gets about 70% of the votes. despite that... I own one. came on a like new FE that I got cheap from Craigslist. I havent used it alot on the D300, but it seems like a nice lens. lol.

5. I'm not trying to sell you on the lens which I do own, but this post made me curious. The min. focus on this is about 3.5 to 4 feet which I don't care for. This was taken at about 5 feet, hand-held, 86mm @ f8, built in flash with my D200 ( non cpu data) at 100 ASA. No post processing done. I got similar results wide open. The second picture is a crop in on the lettering. Even though it's slow max. aptr. f 3.5, I may have to use this lens more. The sharpness surprised me. I guess it has it's moments.

2633632629_2acb0cd20b_o.

View attachment 220331

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    it's the best lens nikon ever made

7. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    LOL
    :505:

8. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    For what it's worth, there are two versions of this lens. The early one from the 1960s with the diamond rubber grip was Nikon's first "comsumer zoom". Given the state of zoom design in those days, performance is unsurprisingly poor. The modern version from the mid 1970s has completely revised optics with much better (but not stellar) performance.

9. In years past I tried 2 or 3 of them, none was satisfactory.

10. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    The 43-86 was the only lens that I still own that I didn't bother to get AI converted. That's gotta mean something.

[​IMG]

11. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Jim seems to have a very good example although most seem to be dissatisfied. I don't know why that lens was so appealing but as a barely teenager the idea of having Nikon gear along with that lens was appealing even if budgetarily impossible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.