44th Annual McQuaid Invite - Rochester NY.

This past Saturday was the 44th Annual McQuaid Invite in Rochester NY. Took me 4 hours to get there. They said it can't be done in under 5... :smile:

This event drew more than 6000 runners from over 13 states and Canada competing in 24 different races based on school size and so on. Our school has competed here for 21 years. They returned this year as defending champs but placed only 12th this year. My son made it on the team for the second time and I had to go. This is his senior year so it's his last time.

Compared to soccer, football, and so on, XC it's kinda hard to get very exciting pictures, but here are a few from the day.

Except for a couple crops and converting to jpg, these are straight from the camera. Haven't had time to play with them PP-wise. I took a lot with the D200 too and just haven't had time to look at them.

These are all shot with the D300 300/f4. I used an SB-800 on most for a little fill and to test my flash under camera rig (AKA Frank rig). A mode @f4. Active D-lighting normal. Single point focus. blah blah blah...

They look a lot better on my (calibrated) monitor at home. Hope they don't look too bad on yours...

Thanks for looking.
Comments/suggestions are welcome.

_D303217.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_D303232.jpg

_D303247.png

View attachment 259034
View attachment 259035
View attachment 259036
_D303504.jpg

_D303510.jpg

Yeah, my brother ran in the McQuaid in 1973 and 74! Those are very nice shots, love the one of your son passing the kid from Hamburg (my home town outside of Buffalo) Also, it's heartening to see the fellow in the timer shot in the tan shorts might actually be holding a stopwatch!

i like the idea of 2, and the shoes too. Is that ground fog in 3-5? also I might crop 4 to exclude some of the OOF foreground. No. 7 for the family wall of fame.

Thanks guys.

I see your points about the crops too.

Brooks, no, not fog. It's dust/dirt that was being kicked up.

I looked at these again in ViewNX and CaptureNX 2 last night. The colors are so much better. I think somehow picasaweb changes it. It's free. Guess I can't complain. :smile:

McQ

Still looking to break 80 consistently.
Real Name
Glenn
Joe, the low angles are really nice. That makes a huge difference and takes the shots up a notch. These will look even better after some PP, but I like them. The girls coming over the rise and the kid looking over his shoulder are my favorites.

Latest threads

Top Bottom