45 Ai-p 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by slappomatt, May 23, 2007.

1. slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I am just wondering what this lens can do that a 50mm 1.8 cant do. other than look really cool on your camera... I have always liked this lens but just cant justify its price as its around 3X the price of the 50 1.8 AF
  2. Nothing...
    I just found and bought a new old stock black one though :biggrin::cool:
    Go figure...
  3. slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    Has anyone ever seen a test between the 50 1.X and the 45 2.8 AI-P? I'm curious what the optical differences would be.
  4. I've tested the two quite a bit. The 45 has more mild contrast at f/2.8, with higher apparent color saturation and a cooler cast, very slightly less distortion and perhaps a more even picture quality around f/2.8 to f/4.

It's a nice lens but most of the cost is in novelty. Optically it's not worth more than the 50/1.8, though it has a much nicer build quality and feel. If you are trying to optically justify the purchase, you can't really.
  5. Agrees with my findings. Actually, the milder contrast was the reason I bought it. When you shoot in high contrast situations like tropical forests (which I do quite often), you are thankful for every bit more shadow detail you can retrieve.

I have hardly used the 50/1.8. since, unless I need some really snappy contrast out of the box. But nothing beats the price/quality ratio of the 50/1.8.

6. This is a nice lens that fits flat on the camera, which is its main advantage. It is a nice to have lens but not necessary if you have a 50 f1.8. The new "P" version will communicate to you AF camera, however, you have to do all the work.
  7. weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Does the new P meter with cameras that only usually meter with AF lenses?
  8. P lenses have CPUs, so yes, they meter fully with DSLRs and the likes of the N80/F80 etc.
  9. Excellent lens, better colors by all means, much better construction and you said it... looks much cooler. And it's so small!

I love mine for landscape work.