1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

45 Ai-p 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by slappomatt, May 23, 2007.

1. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I am just wondering what this lens can do that a 50mm 1.8 cant do. other than look really cool on your camera... I have always liked this lens but just cant justify its price as its around 3X the price of the 50 1.8 AF

2. Nothing...
    I just found and bought a new old stock black one though :biggrin::cool: 
    Go figure...

3. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    Has anyone ever seen a test between the 50 1.X and the 45 2.8 AI-P? I'm curious what the optical differences would be.

4. I've tested the two quite a bit. The 45 has more mild contrast at f/2.8, with higher apparent color saturation and a cooler cast, very slightly less distortion and perhaps a more even picture quality around f/2.8 to f/4.

It's a nice lens but most of the cost is in novelty. Optically it's not worth more than the 50/1.8, though it has a much nicer build quality and feel. If you are trying to optically justify the purchase, you can't really.

5. Agrees with my findings. Actually, the milder contrast was the reason I bought it. When you shoot in high contrast situations like tropical forests (which I do quite often), you are thankful for every bit more shadow detail you can retrieve.

I have hardly used the 50/1.8. since, unless I need some really snappy contrast out of the box. But nothing beats the price/quality ratio of the 50/1.8.

Cheers

6. This is a nice lens that fits flat on the camera, which is its main advantage. It is a nice to have lens but not necessary if you have a 50 f1.8. The new "P" version will communicate to you AF camera, however, you have to do all the work.

7. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Does the new P meter with cameras that only usually meter with AF lenses?

8. P lenses have CPUs, so yes, they meter fully with DSLRs and the likes of the N80/F80 etc.

9. Excellent lens, better colors by all means, much better construction and you said it... looks much cooler. And it's so small!

I love mine for landscape work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.