45mm f/2.8 P

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by abry, Jun 20, 2007.

1. abry

abry

Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, England
    Has anyone any experience of this lens on a D40? Or otherwise?

2. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Hi,

I have used it on the D70s. Use the 50/1.4 more but the 45 is sharp even at 2.8 and the bokeh is much better than the 50mm. I shall try to dig up some pics or take a few and post. Shall be a couple of days, though.

Bit pricey if you cf with 50/1.4, but you are paying for uniqueness, I guess.

Regards.

3. Gordon Chau

Gordon Chau Guest

I use mine on a D40 a lot of time due to the very compact form factor plus featherweight. Focus being manual is not different from using it on say a D100. I often use it indoors, available light, since the IQ wide open at f2.8 is very good, yielding reasonable DOF, together with excellent high ISO performance of the D40.

Gordon Chau

4. abry

abry

Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, England
    Thanks for the feedback. It is a bit pricey but the tiny size and indoor available light possibilities seem very attractive to me on the D40, which I just bought for my wife, but prefer to the D100. Since the VF is much brighter on the D40, the manual focus option for indoor available light photos seems much more realistic. Gordon - have you fitted a Katzeye focussing screen?

5. Ten days ago I bought a D40X for my 45/P :biggrin:
    Such a sweet combination...
    Takes great pictures too!
    [​IMG]

6. Jordan that is a cool looking set up!

7. Nice! I can imagine that to be an excellent combination, they seem made for each other.

8. It looks so nice on the D40X. And takes good pictures too.

9. DABO

DABO

Jan 13, 2006
    I had it, I liked it, I sold it. Between my 50/1.4 AFD and my 50/1.2 AIS, I never found a need for the 45/2.8. If you value size above all else, it's a great choice.

DAB

10. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I'd love if Nikon made a 30-35mm pancake lens. 45mm is just too long on DX. Pentax have a great range of pancakes.

11. abry

abry

Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, England
    Jordan - I can understand why you bought the camera to go with the lens - looks terrific. The lens I am thinking of buying is one of the silver ones, but I suppose silver on black might still look good...

12. Almost seems to be a "pocket cam" :biggrin:

13. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Meter?

Does anybody know if 45p meters on D40/40X?

14. [​IMG]

Uh-oh, does this mean I have serious issues??? :biggrin:

The black 45P looks good on just about anything. And works, too!

15. Yes, the 45P meters fine on a D40/40X. The P designation means that it has a chip for that purpose. Because it's already a mf lens, you lose nothing when you use it on the D40/40X.

16. Gordon Chau

Gordon Chau Guest

I do not have that. I am quite happy with the focus dot. Here is a thread in dpreview where the poster used one with other manual lenses on a running child; he did not mention the Katzeye in the post but it was listed in his profile. (I would not read the rest of that thread though, because nowadays that site is plagued by infestation which guarantees to depress.)
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=23592215

I have a black one with my D40. I also use the packaged NC filter, cute lens hood and lens cap, the resultant thickness (three more layers) is a bit more than the picture Jordan posted.

17. rubendparra

rubendparra Guest

18. Here's a film shot with the 45p -
    [​IMG]

19. Silver lens on a black body will look gorgeous too!
    And silver 45/P is sooo beautiful... :biggrin:

20. Hey Glenn, yours look really cute too! :biggrin: