4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS

In the county I live in fireworks are illegal.
Usually the city will sponsor a 30 minute fireworks show at one of the larger parks.
Done very safely by professionals.
This year due to Covid they decided not to have a fireworks display.
In turn, vast numbers of citizens purchased illegal fireworks and set them off.
This went on from 8PM until after Midnight.
It was by far the loudest and longest display of fireworks that we have experienced in our 25 years living here.
I stepped outside a few times to try to determine where they seemed to be originating from and its was literally everywhere within a full circle around our home. Several parks, and residents' back yards as well.
The police were out in full force.
We would hear their sirens go off very close to us. The fireworks would stop for about 15 minutes only to resume again.
It absolutely frightened our two dogs.
Rather than have just a 30 minute display by the city we had a very loud display for over 4 hours.
Sounded like many of them were M80's which as some of you may know are equivalent to a quarter stick of dynamite.
I remembered our Vet instructed us to give them a light dose of Benadryl if something like this should happen.
They each got a different dose since one weighs only 12 pounds and the Lab weighs 70 pounds.
They were both still very startled but they were not shaking as violently as they were before the Benadryl.
Definitely a little more bearable for them.
I really wish people would be much more respectful of the what this type of display can do to children and pets.
Not to mention the high fire risk to homes in the area.

We had a beautiful fireworks display put on by our city. Fireworks were illegal here because of high fire danger. However, we could see lots of illegal fireworks going on all over the place. I don't understand why they couldn't just look at the city's fireworks. We heard at least one fire truck go by while we were watching the display.

I live in a condominium apartment building on a small lake. My building, the first to be built, is adjacent to the community clubhouse and also to the lovely wooden pier that extends out a short distance into the water. Last night I was horrified to see some guy standing out there on the pier setting off fireworks. I immediately grabbed my RX10, which I'd had on the table on the deck anyway, and took several photos of him as he lit the sparky, sparkly things which erupted and sent sparks flying into the air, into the water and, yes, on to the 30-something-year-old wood decking of the pier..... His wife, holding their very young baby, and their toddler, stood at a safe distance nearby, watching. Obviously they had no common sense and didn't stop to think that it is not a smart idea to be setting fire to sparky things on a wood pier. He easily could've set fire to the pier, to the adjacent clubhouse and its deck, and, of most concern to me, my own building. I had my iPhone right at hand, too, in case I needed to call 911. I am thinking of sending an email with a couple of the photos to our condo management company. I don't know if this young family lives here in one of the condo buildings or if they live across the lake in one of the townhouses, but they had no business endangering this pier and the property.

After they left and I had calmed down, I relaxed out on my deck and had a front-row seat to a (presumably authorized and properly monitored) fireworks display that was in a local vacant parking lot just up the street a bit. Someone spent a fortune on those, as they were pretty nice, although not the best I've ever seen (that honor goes to Ocean City, New Jersey in the summer of 2018). None of the local jurisdictions held an official fireworks display or parade this year, thanks to COVID-19, so like other communities, we had a lot of fireworks going off in places they normally would not be.

The fireworks were almost over when it belatedly occurred to me that, hey, I could shoot a few photos, had the camera right there anyway! If I'd thought of this earlier I could've set up the tripod and the full-frame camera and long lens, but instead just went ahead and used the RX10 and that worked out fine. Not the greatest shots and many didn't come out well at all, but it was still fun.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is an aerial view that shows the excessive amount of fireworks coming from so many different locations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In Northridge California illegal fireworks caused a fire at an apartment complex.
8 families left homeless now.
This is completely out of control.

Last year I remember my dog shaking uncontrollably as my neighbors set off fireworks. This year I decided not to risk it and to take my dog out of our town and into the peace and quiet of the surrounding countryside. This is what I saw instead:
Note: I know that this is a poor image taken with my iPhone but it does contain the information I wanted.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last year I remember my dog shaking uncontrollably as my neighbors set off fireworks. This year I decided not to risk it and to take my dog out of our town and into the peace and quiet of the surrounding countryside. This is what I saw instead:
Note: I know that this is a poor image taken with my iPhone but it does contain the information I wanted.

View attachment 1665032

That's a beautiful scene, Gordon, even if it is just an iPhone snap.

When I was growing up my Dad raised and trained hunting dogs. To accustom them to the sound of gunfire, he would start by slapping a newspaper loudly near them while they were eating when they were still puppies. That way, they associated the sound with pleasure. I don't think we ever had a gun-shy dog.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom