5 from today...

Went to a small park, Westlake, in Santa Cruz that seems to often get some interesting birds for some odd reason. Maybe just because it's literally in the middle of suburbia - a block of parkland and pond surrounded by houses. Anyway, get some wintering migrants I haven't seen before, although I'm sure they're not rare, plus some more usual visitors. Here's some I've processed. All with D100 and Sigma 80-400mm OS:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

400.0mm @ 1/125s; f/5.6; EV: 0.33; Matrix; Aperture priority
Oh and that's uncropped. He was pretty comfortable with my presence after a while.

400.0mm; 1/320s; f/5.6; EV: 0.33; matrix; aperture priority

400.0mm; 1/320; f/5.6; matrix; aperture priority

These last two were taken down the hill at Natural Bridges:

400.0mm; 1/125s; f/14.0; matrix; aperture priority.
And I was in f/14 because I was actually shooting a different shot entirely when I caught this guy out of the corner of my eye doing a circuit.

While these guys are just everywhere down along cliffs here.

400.0mm; 1/800s; f/7.1; EV: -0.33; spot metered; aperture priority.

As always, comments and critiques and suggested improvements are very welcome.

Neil

Excellent shots Neil. You are going to be a great addition to the Cafe, and especially to the birdie forum.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

Thanks guys.

For some reason, I seem to have managed to make a jump in the standard of my images (or at least I think I have). A big part is due to the Sigma 80-400mm, but another part of it is in thinking differently in what I do when I post-process.

Some of that's due to seeing the dramatic difference in the standards you guys have reached following your session with Ron R (and I will be buying his ebook in the near future and one day, finances willing, will undertake a session with him).

The rest of it is due to talking with a pro friend of mine who shoots horses and motorsports. His advice on contrast, warmth and crops have been invaluable. Andrew's stuff is at http://www.whimwham.com and http://www.automotophoto.com - he shoots Canon, but he's a nice guy anyway.

So now I incorporate all that stuff into how I think about my workflow (and credit where it's due, that workflow is still a variation on what I originally learned from Yves's posts over a year ago).

Thanks again.

Neil

Thanks for the kind words Gordon, Craig and Hans. I must admit, I'm with Craig - I like the Ring-necked duck best. They're a strikingly beautiful bird.

Thanks again,

Neil

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom