5 from today...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by NeilCam, Feb 21, 2005.

1. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Went to a small park, Westlake, in Santa Cruz that seems to often get some interesting birds for some odd reason. Maybe just because it's literally in the middle of suburbia - a block of parkland and pond surrounded by houses. Anyway, get some wintering migrants I haven't seen before, although I'm sure they're not rare, plus some more usual visitors. Here's some I've processed. All with D100 and Sigma 80-400mm OS:

[​IMG]
    400.0mm @ 1/125s; f/5.6; EV: 0.33; Matrix; Aperture priority
    Oh and that's uncropped. He was pretty comfortable with my presence after a while.

[​IMG]
    400.0mm; 1/320s; f/5.6; EV: 0.33; matrix; aperture priority

[​IMG]
    400.0mm; 1/320; f/5.6; matrix; aperture priority

These last two were taken down the hill at Natural Bridges:

[​IMG]
    400.0mm; 1/125s; f/14.0; matrix; aperture priority.
    And I was in f/14 because I was actually shooting a different shot entirely when I caught this guy out of the corner of my eye doing a circuit.

While these guys are just everywhere down along cliffs here.
    [​IMG]
    400.0mm; 1/800s; f/7.1; EV: -0.33; spot metered; aperture priority.

As always, comments and critiques and suggested improvements are very welcome.

Neil

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Neil. You are going to be a great addition to the Cafe, and especially to the birdie forum.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

3. Great stuff. Keep posting like this, and you'll make me look good for inviting you. :lol:

4. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks guys.

For some reason, I seem to have managed to make a jump in the standard of my images (or at least I think I have). A big part is due to the Sigma 80-400mm, but another part of it is in thinking differently in what I do when I post-process.

Some of that's due to seeing the dramatic difference in the standards you guys have reached following your session with Ron R (and I will be buying his ebook in the near future and one day, finances willing, will undertake a session with him).

The rest of it is due to talking with a pro friend of mine who shoots horses and motorsports. His advice on contrast, warmth and crops have been invaluable. Andrew's stuff is at http://www.whimwham.com and http://www.automotophoto.com - he shoots Canon, but he's a nice guy anyway.

So now I incorporate all that stuff into how I think about my workflow (and credit where it's due, that workflow is still a variation on what I originally learned from Yves's posts over a year ago).

Thanks again.

Neil

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good stuff, Neil! Love the iridescence of the blackbird.

6. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks Steve, appreciated.

Neil

7. Neil

Great work looks liek the Sigma in your hands is doign woderful things, practice makes perfect keep on shooting.

8. Excellent Neil. You have captured them all very well. Good job.

9. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice work Neil. like the rn duck best.

10. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Neil

That black bird is beautiful

11. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Thanks for the kind words Gordon, Craig and Hans. I must admit, I'm with Craig - I like the Ring-necked duck best. They're a strikingly beautiful bird.

Thanks again,

Neil