50 1.4 ais vs. 50 af 1.4?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by grt_napa, Jun 20, 2007.

1. I am the satisfied owner of an AF 50 f/1.4 and use it occasionally for indoor "portrait" work of family members (i.e. grand kids).

I have an opportunity to purchase an excellent condition 50 1.4 ais lens at a very low price and am considering buying it and then selling or trading my 50 af 1.4.

There are minimal reviews available for such older (1980s vintage) lenses and I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks....and with my best!

2. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Gordon, I have both... I just acquired the af version as a gift. I'll see if I can test the f1.4 on each... maybe tomorrow or Friday and get back to you. Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  3. Thanks...Mike! Will stand by for guidance.

BTW...You obviously have the magic touch for being on the receiving end of special gifts.

With my best,

4. I shoot with Ai(S) lenses just about exclusively and I have the Ai-S 50mm f/1.4.
    I had the AF version before.
    I have found no difference in image quality whatsoever between these fine lenses.

5. I've owned both the AF and MF (AIS) versions, and I can't tell the difference in results. As far as I know, the AIS and AF versions are optically the same - which of course would go a ways toward explaining why they perform the same.

6. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    How noisy is the 50 AF, and how smooth is the manual focus? Thinking of getting one myself to consolidate the 50 collection a bit.

7. I don't have the 50/f1.4 AF any more (I still have the AI version, which belongs to my F2A), so can't really say as surely as before. However, I honestly can't say that the 1.4 AFD is much different than the 1.8 AFD in either noise or smoothness.

8. I've owned the AiS version, and it was tack sharp. I just got the AF version. If it's anywhere near as close as the old manual version, I'm gonna do my happy dance.

9. mycom

mycom

Apr 24, 2006
    50/1.4 Ai - Ai-S - AF - AF-D all share same optical formula,
    So pretty much no change other than cosmetics and AF since 1976!