1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

50 1.4 and 85 1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Terri French, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I'm testing out both thanks to a generous friend who loaned them to me. I love them both so far. I was able to test out both with some grandkids today.

Both D200, natural light, ISO 400

Later I will post two facial closeups with the same person and same conditions done with each lens.

My dilemma will be which to purchase first.....

Do you remember Candyland?

50 1.4 @ 1.4

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

85 1.4 @ 2

View attachment 226411

2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I feel for you Terri.:biggrin:

3. Are they fantastic or what! I Love mine.

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    That 85 is in the sweet spot at f2,

And that 50mm at 1.4 is sure nice too,

5. Ah, Terri! Such a dilemma, eh? Two fantastic lenses, a houseful of wonderful subjects.....

I think if it were me I'd go for that 85mm f/1.4 first.

6. I'd say: BOTH! But, to talk out a few things that might help if you can only get one... the 50 1.4 is pretty inexpensive, and so tiny... The 85 1.4 can be found for a decent price used, about 800-850 or so... A bit bulkier. Less useful for interior shots on DX...

Very nice shots Terri, BTW.... I am still quite familiar with Candyland, though we are now moving on to some more advanced games...

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I like to use my 50/1.4 at f/2.2. Thats my sweet spot.:wink: Try both on the same subject and fill the frame the same. Look at the difference in perspective.

8. Wow that first shot may have just sold another 50mm 1.4 for Nikon...to me:biggrin:

9. nykonian

nykonian

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Terri, be honest.... do you work for Nikon?? :wink:

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

yes sire ....i find 2.2 to be the FUNK on both:Love:

11. sasdallas

sasdallas

Jul 22, 2008
    Dallas
    I'm in the market for a used 85/1.4. Just can't seem to find the right combo of shape/price. That being said, I'm a bit hesitant regarding the possibility of Nikon coming out with the (much talked about) AF-S upgrade,

I know no one (that can say, anyway) really knows, but anybody want to comment on the possibility of that happening in the near future?

SAS

12. Well, the good thing is that, I'll eventually have more than one fast prime. I think I'm hooked!!

13. Yes, I'm rethinking my lens collection.......

14. You are right there......

I'm having a blast testing out the lenses. I bet I eventually have them all. But if I get them, will I even use my zooms??? Probably only for landscapes.... Then I need to rethink which zooms are best for that.

What a dilemma.

15. That was my first thought.....then I used the 50 1.4 and saw how good that focal length was for my type of shooting.....

Still thinking..

16. I'm sure eventually it will be both. I did like the focal length of the 50 better indoors. Now I've got to play more with the 35 f2....

What a fun thing to get to do.

17. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

18. Fun, isn't it.

19. :biggrin:

20. That rumor has been going around for a while. One thing is for certain. If I buy the lens, the new one will come out right after.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.