1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

50/1.4 does Paris - Finally

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Candidcameraman, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Okay so here it is, I took a few days to amass a variety of shots with the AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 D lens. The images bellow were all captured using the D3 - I waited until I went to the Louvre before posting this thread and I did stop by briefly today.

I strongly recommend to anyone with a wide selection of lenses to use only one lens at a time for a week - or a full day of shooting, it really makes a difference in how you will eventually end up "viewing" the world through your lenses as well as finding what works in which situation.

I had a favorite before I started this, the 24-70/2.8 now... I am not so sure which of these lenses is my favorite, on the full frame sensor the 35/1.4 weights more than any other at the moment for its great street photography potential... and overall versatility.

The previous threads are listed below:

14-24/2.8 does Paris
    24-70/2.8 does Paris
    70-200/2.8 does Paris
    85/1.4 does Paris
    35/1.4 AI-S does Paris

I have a few more lenses up my sleeve but this little experience in Paris has been eye opening in many ways for me - I no longer have true favorite image making lens, using the lenses - dedicating myself for a day to one lens - or force myself to use a lens I would not ordinarily use in "a certain type of settings" has increased my understanding of ... "photography"? (That's pushing it but no... not really...) My understanding of what is possible to achieve using different lenses.

I have found that some lenses are surprisingly better at producing images for which I would have used another lens prior to this little experiement, some misconceptions on my parts have been lifted - composition is indeed everything and no matter what you use a good image is always possible to obtain.

This has me looking at photography in a whole new light, my blinders have been opened a little, yes primes are better than zooms, even when zooms, pro-zooms that is, are so good now a days, I even thought before this - "Yea, right... who needs primes..." The only zoom that is truly as good as prime lenses in the one I tried above is the 14-24/2.8 (surprisingly good)

I find myself saying today that the 14-24/2.8 is the best zoom ever IQ wise, no doubts on that - but as far as primes are concerned... I am not so sure - my favorite is at this time the 35/1.4 but I have now gained a new understanding and respect for the 50/1.4 - keep in mind this is the second time (or third) that I bought this lens, I am now keeping it.

All this to say that I would not be afraid to leave home with any one of these lenses alone for a day of shooting, I still have a lot of learning to do with each of them but using primes more these past couple of weeks has forced me to think more about the composition (Specially that I am trying this in Paris of all places... a place where you do not want to miss a shot)

The only two lenses I would find more challenging to use exclusively for a day would be the 70-200 or the 14-24... The 70-200 because it is so big and the 14-24 because it is so wide, however any day out shooting without those two would be a day filled with missed opportunities. (And I could say the same with all the other lenses above including the 50/1.4) Having used primes extensively these past couple of weeks has made me a better photographer I hope as such I decided to keep using them and will often only use one prime at a time for set periods of time as well as always try to carry a small variety of lenses with me when I go shooting (That's when I go shooting non-dedicated to one lens - or focal length...)

So without further "bla-bla-bla*" on to the pictures captured with the 50/1.4 in Paris

*My opinion is truly subject to change...

WildFiftydoesParis13.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 220672

View attachment 220673

View attachment 220674

View attachment 220675

View attachment 220676

View attachment 220677

View attachment 220678

View attachment 220679

View attachment 220680

View attachment 220681

View attachment 220682

View attachment 220683

View attachment 220684

View attachment 220685

View attachment 220686

View attachment 220687

View attachment 220688

View attachment 220689

View attachment 220691

View attachment 220692

View attachment 220693

View attachment 220694

View attachment 220695

View attachment 220696

View attachment 220697

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Nice, actually very nice captures and agree with your comments....

The 50mm f1.4 is a keeper!

Ted

3. awesome!! Great quality photos! What was the shutter time on the night shot of the Eiffel Tower (overlooking the city)

4. Thank you Ted, the 50/1.4 has secured a place in my lens line up.

Thank you - that pictures was captured hand held at 1/40 of a sec, iso 1250 @ f2 ... Impressive to say the least.

5. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Another fine showcase :smile:
    The 50mm used here is AI/AIS/AF/other?

6. GKR1

GKR1

Apr 19, 2007
    San Diego
    Super nice. Yes the 50/1.4 and it is little cousin 35/2 are very special to me.

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Amazing, Dude! I enjoyed reading your post almost as much as viewing your images. Perhaps anyone who has ever given up on the 50mm focal length should give it another shot, myself included.

8. Thank you and very good question - I should have specified- it is the latest version/incarnation the AF Nikkor 50mm f1.4D

Thank you, I should try the 35/2 again but like the image rendition of the 1.4 much better - the 35/2 was no slouch and really deserves another try on my part.

9. Thank you

Thank you Phillip, it is worth another shot - the good thing is that the 50mm on the D3 handles like a 50mm :biggrin:

10. WOW! Another great series! Great use of the 50 1.4! You gave me a great idea to my future walks inside the Louvre - just the D300 with the 50 attached.
    Also, albeit somehow challenging, your suggestion for a lense / a day is very interesting and excellent to "learn" how to use it in a versatile way.
    Thank you for sharing your excellent Paris series with us.
    Rui

SB-800, TC Kenko Pro300 1.4, Manfrotto 190MF4+804RC Head

===
    www.pbase.com/ruilopes

11. jadog2

jadog2

Dec 18, 2007
    SF
    Looks like there is no need for a refresh on this lens to an AFS Nano.
    Great just the way it is.
    thx for the nice shots dude.
    -jason

12. Thank you Rui, for the Louvre today I did bring the 14-24/2.8 and 28/1.4 - however I did use mainly the 50/1.4 - on the D300 I would recommend a 35mm keep in mind I am using a Full Frame sensor as such in many instances I only had to step back a little to frame the shot I wanted.

I am glad to have this venue to share my photos on, the good the bad and the ugly - I learned so much here in the past few months (That's when it started sinking it... all these lessons I learned - I know nothing yet...)

Nano would be great actually for night photography :biggrin: Nano = less flare :smile: But yea, who needs AFS? :wink::wink:

13. Wow, yet another fantastic collection. And kudos for using one lens a day. What a great idea for all of us to consider!! Great job, and thanks so much for sharing the whole series!

14. patrick
    so many awesome shots
    i LOVE that you've created all of these threads with the images from ONE SINGLE LENS
    so awesome
    wow....
    and..... wow again

thank you

15. Thanks for the (multiple) threads! Amazing shots!

16. Thank you Greg

Thank you - it is a pleasure.

Thank you. :biggrin:

17. Perhaps that should be phrased as "the perspective of the 50mm focal length on 35mm sensor/film," as it seems a lot of people give up on the 50mm as you say, due to the APS-C crop more than anything, and end up gravitating to the 35 F/2.

18. Strange thing is that I always preferred the images of the 50mm compared to the 35 on the FX cropped sensor - and now I prefer the images of the 35mm on the FX, "35mm" sensor... Strange... I had the 35/2 twice and sold it one - returned it once... it never stuck - I should really give it a try on the D3 before deciding for good as I have grown to really like the 50 on the D3.

19. mi2ark

mi2ark Guest

So should I get rid of my 50 and get a 35?

I'm stuck with the now obsolete D300. (pity me :frown:) 

I love the shots I get with the 50 but, like many, I don't have it on a lot because it's a bit too tight for street photography and/or indoor pics.

Is it logical to sell it for the 35? Should I just keep it and BUY the 35?

20. Mike the D300 is far from being obsolete, on the FX sensor - I had the D70s, D2Hs and D300 - and on all those three I preferred the images I captured with the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 ... I had the 35mm twice and got rid of it twice - the third time I had the 35 was when I had an full frame sensor with the D3 and preferred the 35 (that's a recent preference) over the 50 on it...

It really depends what you want - the 35 may just be what you need - for what it is worth I found the 35/2 to be much better for low light (available light) photography.

If you do find the 50 too tight for your style of shooting then a 35 is in order :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.