50/1.4 vs 50/1.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by xenonsupra, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I just picked up a 50/1.4 - It seems as if it is much louder (almost rumbles a little) than my 1.8 when focusing. they are both "D" versions.

Is this normal? Thanks.

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

congrats ..ya mine grunts and groans, all that. awesome lens!

3. October 4, 2008

I own three of the 50mm AF-D lenses. I don't have the new G version. I don't find much difference in focusing speed between the two 50s on my F5, but the difference in light gathering ability on my F5 between the 1.4 and the 1.8 is only about 2/3 (or less) of a stop. I have had great results using the 1.8 lens at night using Fuji 400 or 800 speed film in my F5. According to some photographers, the 1.8 lens is capable of producing outstanding results, and for the $110.00 that it costs, I love my 1.8 lenses.

Good Luck, go out shooting, and for the fun of it, see what you can get with the 1.8 lens in low light, I think you will be very surprised. I don't notice any difference in noise level in either lens when they are being autofocused.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.