50/1.8G Takes it: 50G vs 50D Side by Side

Well I recently picked up the new 50/1.8G. I have an stellar copy of the 1.8D that I will not part with, BUT my quick tests today show that the G version is better in both Bokeh (considerably) and contrast.

My only caveat is that the G version is considerably bigger and perceptibly flimsier.

The full comparison is here, and shows the broadest range of apertures.
http://abouna.smugmug.com/Private/50mm-lens-test/17638147_Q9hwg5

Well I'm not getting rid of my D version either.

That said, the G version is fairly cheap and gains quite a bit of IQ in my estimation.

I prefer the size and build of the D but other than that it can't match the G, especially considering the bokeh which has traditionally been most peoples gripe about the D version.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Well I have the AIS verion, the D and now the G. The G verison beats the socks off of both of the others, sharper at F1.8 and supersharp at F8, best lens deal going right now. Only issue with the G it has more distortion then the AIS and the D, but CS5 will deal with that automatically.

I think I will be selling my D...

Thanks for posting these. The good news (for me and my wallet) is that I can't see enough of a difference to justify upgrading from the D. I realize I'm not as critical as others, though. Now, if I didn't own the D and were starting from scratch, that'd be another story.

nice job nikon. hopefuly they'll improve the 85 1.8 just as much.
I hope they do, and I hope its a good price point :)

However, the D version is an amazing lens on DX and FX as it is.... I bet we wont see one till next year.

In any case, I love the 50 1.8G, I had a D for a while and this is a very worth 120 dollar upgrade. I would also like to mention that it does have an assgasket and from what I understand some light weather proofing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom