1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

50 f/1.4 + Kenko 1.4x as portable portrait machine

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry Lavo, Jul 17, 2008.

1. I recently started a thread pointing out the 85 1.8's value as an affordable informal portrait machine. This past weekend at a social gathering I had a chance to try out another combo: the 50 1.4 teamed with a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x giving an effective 70mm f/2 lens.

All shot RAW with a D50, 50mm 1.4 lens, and Kenko 1.4x Pro 300. The settings: 1/800 @ f/2.5 and 70mm (effective), ISO 200. All cropped to a moderate degree, processed by DxO, and converted to web jpegs via Photo Mechanic:

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original.jpg

original.jpg

There are lots of ways to get good informal portraits without feeling you have to have an 85 1.4.

The beauty of this one is that the lens and teleconverter fit in the small front pocket of my holster case, wherein resides the D50 with my normal 18-135 walkabout lens. So the "portrait" and low-light lenses are there when you need them, without compromising the portability of the walkabout outfit.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  2. Thanks for the tip, Harry. I didn't know the 1.4 could go on the 1.4 :biggrin:

3. It's new math! :biggrin:

The combo does "portraits" of things as well as people. Here is a still life shot at the same party.

original.jpg

As I mentioned in the original post, I find the combo adds great versatility to my walkabout kit.

4. Harry,

Now youv'e done it. Gone off and shown people how to get fantastic photographs with affordable and non-exotic gear :smile:

Fantastic! Thank You!

5. :biggrin: I fully expect to have my "Lens Lust" posting priveleges revoked!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.