1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

50 f/1.8 front focusing?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JMontes, Jul 20, 2008.

1. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    I have never been able to get a sharp image at 1.8 with this lens. Once I get to 2.8 and higher, it'll sharpen up, but 1.8 is just unusable. Today I tried an experiment. I focused on something further back in the frame, and what I actually wanted in focus WAS in focus. Look at this image, I have marked a red X on the focus point. I know it's not perfect, but when I focus on the face, it's a complete blur. There is no sharpening on this image, it's just converted from RAW to JPG.

This is a USA les, less than 2 years old. Is this something Nikon will fix free of charge? Is it even worth it considering the value of the lens?

[​IMG]

2. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    I think f/1.8 is too large. You will have to go with a smaller aperture to be able to focus on a larger area. It seems like the camera is focused on the eye. If you want a larger area of focus, go with a smaller aperture.

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Ship the 50 1.8 is plenty sharp @ 1.8. What Joe is saying is the lens is out of adjustment. You can see the eyes are in focus but unfortunatly he focused on the red X. Thus the Question of front focus and getting it repaired.:wink:

4. My 1.8 is currently with Nikon being fixed for a loose focus ring--the 5 year extended warranty is up in November and Nikon had no problems doing a B2 service (moderate repair/major parts replaced).

Three questions:
    1. What camera?
    2. Auto or manual focus?
    3. Is this the only lens that you observe focus problems with?

5. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    D200.
    Auto focus.
    Yes, not seeing this issue with other lenses.

I'll call them and see what they say. Maybe get it in there after vacation. The picture did give me hope that it can be sharp wide open though, so that is good!

6. Good, then it is not the camera (so you won't have to send that in to Nikon) or a mechanical adjustment to take care of any discrepancy between auto and manual focusing (I just did this to my D2X; it was easy, but I had help from Rachel Katz).

You can start your service work by visiting: http://www.nikonusa.com/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Service-Information.page

There you will be able to create a packing list for what you send to Nikon Service and be able to print a shipping label and shipping instructions. You will need original sales receipt, original warranty and registration sheet.

7. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    Thanks for the info. I think that is where I'm going to get screwed, my wife tossed the box (one of my first lenses, and she doesn't save boxes for anything) with registration card in it......I probably have the receipt still though. I'll definitely talk to Nikon and see what it would cost with no card....probably more than the lens is worth :frown:

8. I think the receipt is the main thing--shows you bought it.

9. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Definitely the reciept is all that you need. The whole registration thing means nothing. My D200 is at nikon right now, I did not send my reciept because it was registered and within waranty. When the estimste was for $200 :eek:  I faxed the reciept, now it is free.:biggrin:

10. JMontes

JMontes

Jun 22, 2007
    Edgartown, MA
    Excellent, I gotta dig this receipt up!

11. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    ohh, sorry man. Misunderstanding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.