50 or 85?

Real Name
Deborah
I'm wanting to more with portrait work and would like your opinions on which is better. I know I could go either way but want to know what the best choice is.
(I bought the F-mount 85 a couple of weeks ago not realizing the Z-mount would release soon.)

Real Name
Andrew
I agree with the above responses. For portraits, the 85mm is special. I've the f-Mount 85/1.8 and really like it. So much so that I'm in no hurry to get the z mount equivalent anytime soon.

The 50 also has it's place, and the z-mount is one of the sharpest 50mm ever. That one will be in the bag once I go all in on mirrorless Nikon. Until then I'm happy to have the 50/1.8G on both.

Last edited:
Real Name
Carl
I have an older 50mm f/1.8,D which has always done lovely work both on my film cameras and the present digital DX ones. My question is, with improvements in coatings for later G series lenses, and perhaps a "tweak" or so in the plastic construction; Is a person better served With one of the newer generation lenses?

Real Name
Andrew
I have an older 50mm f/1.8,D which has always done lovely work both on my film cameras and the present digital DX ones. My question is, with improvements in coatings for later G series lenses, and perhaps a "tweak" or so in the plastic construction; Is a person better served With one of the newer generation lenses?

I really loved the 50/1.8D. I upgraded it to the G version because I wanted to use it in the Z6. I honestly prefer the older D version. I thought it rendered better and it is smaller. I wanted the AF, so but the bullet. I've no complaint of the 50G, though.

Last edited:
Real Name
Carl
I really loved the 50/1.8D. I upgraded it to the G version because I wanted to use it in the Z6. I honestly order the older D version. I thought it rendered better and it is smaller. I wanted the AF, so but the bullet. I've no complaint of the 50G, though.
Thank you!

Will you be shooting these portraits indoors or outdoors? Headshots, 3/4 or full body?

I only shoot FX for portraits. 58mm works indoors if I want 3/4 or full body. 85mm is my preferred lens indoors for headshots. It's very flattering but can get tight in small spaces. I've moved to 105mm for outdoor portraits where space is not an issue.

Real Name
Deborah
Will you be shooting these portraits indoors or outdoors? Headshots, 3/4 or full body?

I only shoot FX for portraits. 58mm works indoors if I want 3/4 or full body. 85mm is my preferred lens indoors for headshots. It's very flattering but can get tight in small spaces. I've moved to 105mm for outdoor portraits where space is not an issue.
At this point I will experiment with everything until i find what tickles my fancy. I imagine 3/4 body or headshots is something i'll try first. I dont have a designated spot for indoors but my garage may be good for the space. Didn't get a chance with it this weekend but i do have plans coming up

I have both and I like both. The 50mm 1.8S is on sale at $500 new is a bargain. I never saw any better lens at this price. You could always buy 85 later at the original price.
I always have to have both 50 and 85 regardless it's Sony or Nikon that I've been with. Sony FE 50s are not so good except the Sony Zeiss 1.4. This Nikon Z 50 is exceptional.

Good choice! I have not had a lot of time to use mine yet. So far it is the best 85 I have ever owned, having had several f/1.8 versions over the years.
The type of post that might cost me money. I have a Z 7 and shot it with my Z kit zoom and MF lenses with different adaptors. But I keep a D750 around for my 2 lens go to kit I just like so much: 28/1.4D and 85/1.4D. Hooking AF-D...
If the Z 85mm is so good... hmmm

Latest threads

Top Bottom