500/4 carryon on a small jet

Jim and I flew to Bosque on a regional jet and took our 600mm in a Kinesis long lens bag, which has back straps attached, and they went in the overheads just fine. It's the under the seat area that can cause an issue with height. We flew Horizon Air's E175 plane, it was actually quite a decent plane to fly on.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I love my ThinkTank Commuter bag. The 500 sits on one side and additional lens and/or bodies go on the other side. Space isn't the problem for me....it is weight. I could easily put more weight in the bag, but would not be able to carry it easily. I try to keep the bag to about 20-23 lbs. The TT Commuter easily fits in the overhead of small regional jets like the Embraer RJ 145.

I also carry on board a large computer bag with my computer, chargers, card reader, 1 external HD, USB hub, AND another camera body and lens. The computer bag usually weighs about 15 lbs. The computer bag goes under the seat in front of me.

I wear my photo vest when traveling. Not very fashionable but very, very functional. Batteries, CF/SC/XQD cards, a second external HD, meds, wallet, etc go in the photo vest.

Tripod/monopod/gimbal/heads in checked luggage.

This worked really well on our recent trip to Costa Rica and previous trips to Kenya, etc.

I love my ThinkTank Commuter bag. The 500 sits on one side and additional lens and/or bodies go on the other side. Space isn't the problem for me....it is weight. I could easily put more weight in the bag, but would not be able to carry it easily. I try to keep the bag to about 20-23 lbs. The TT Commuter easily fits in the overhead of small regional jets like the Embraer RJ 145.

I also carry on board a large computer bag with my computer, chargers, card reader, 1 external HD, USB hub, AND another camera body and lens. The computer bag usually weighs about 15 lbs. The computer bag goes under the seat in front of me.

I wear my photo vest when traveling. Not very fashionable but very, very functional. Batteries, CF/SC/XQD cards, a second external HD, meds, wallet, etc go in the photo vest.

Tripod/monopod/gimbal/heads in checked luggage.

This worked really well on our recent trip to Costa Rica and previous trips to Kenya, etc.
I own the same bag as Karen--the Think Tank Commuter. The 500 takes up one side of the bag.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
BTW - wheels add another 4-5 lbs and often elicit a request to gate check the bag. I've never been asked to gate check either the TT Commuter or the larger TT Airport Accelerator. Using the belt puts the weight on your hips/legs. I find I can carry a loaded bag very easily once the best is fastened.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Randy I showed you this at Bosque a couple of years ago, I use a Lowepro Proroller 200, where you can take the inner bag out and it becomes a backpack that can handle a 600, with hood, 2 bodies and a 80-400 type of lens and tc's as well. Pro Roller x200 AW

And yes the inner backpack fits in regional jets over head bin! With a 600 in it!

I have no idea why this bag isn't at the top of the list for all travelling Nature & Birder photographers, its a great bag, very intelligent construction

Real Name
Randy
Randy I showed you this at Bosque a couple of years ago, I use a Lowepro Proroller 200, where you can take the inner bag out and it becomes a backpack that can handle a 600, with hood, 2 bodies and a 80-400 type of lens and tc's as well. Pro Roller x200 AW

And yes the inner backpack fits in regional jets over head bin! With a 600 in it!

I have no idea why this bag isn't at the top of the list for all travelling Nature & Birder photographers, its a great bag, very intelligent construction
that is pretty cool, I sometimes use something similar, a lowepro backpack in a standard carryon roller bag

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom