1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

500/4 carryon on a small jet

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Randy, Jan 17, 2018.

1. im not a fan of flying with a backpack but I’ve got some regional jets coming up.

What backpack do you recommend

2. Jim and I flew to Bosque on a regional jet and took our 600mm in a Kinesis long lens bag, which has back straps attached, and they went in the overheads just fine. It's the under the seat area that can cause an issue with height. We flew Horizon Air's E175 plane, it was actually quite a decent plane to fly on.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I love my ThinkTank Commuter bag. The 500 sits on one side and additional lens and/or bodies go on the other side. Space isn't the problem for me....it is weight. I could easily put more weight in the bag, but would not be able to carry it easily. I try to keep the bag to about 20-23 lbs. The TT Commuter easily fits in the overhead of small regional jets like the Embraer RJ 145.

I also carry on board a large computer bag with my computer, chargers, card reader, 1 external HD, USB hub, AND another camera body and lens. The computer bag usually weighs about 15 lbs. The computer bag goes under the seat in front of me.

I wear my photo vest when traveling. Not very fashionable but very, very functional. Batteries, CF/SC/XQD cards, a second external HD, meds, wallet, etc go in the photo vest.

Tripod/monopod/gimbal/heads in checked luggage.

This worked really well on our recent trip to Costa Rica and previous trips to Kenya, etc.

4. I own the same bag as Karen--the Think Tank Commuter. The 500 takes up one side of the bag.

Glenn

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    BTW - wheels add another 4-5 lbs and often elicit a request to gate check the bag. I've never been asked to gate check either the TT Commuter or the larger TT Airport Accelerator. Using the belt puts the weight on your hips/legs. I find I can carry a loaded bag very easily once the best is fastened.

6. Randy I showed you this at Bosque a couple of years ago, I use a Lowepro Proroller 200, where you can take the inner bag out and it becomes a backpack that can handle a 600, with hood, 2 bodies and a 80-400 type of lens and tc's as well. Pro Roller x200 AW

And yes the inner backpack fits in regional jets over head bin! With a 600 in it!

I have no idea why this bag isn't at the top of the list for all travelling Nature & Birder photographers, its a great bag, very intelligent construction

7. that is pretty cool, I sometimes use something similar, a lowepro backpack in a standard carryon roller bag

8. scharn

scharn

Jul 6, 2009
    Berlin, germany
    I like my Think-Tank streetwalker harddrive, easy travelling w/ 500 + eg D500/d4 + 70-200+ extra stuff

9. I tested my regular streetwalker and it fits (no hood), I was surprised
    I got one of those roll up hoods so the hood stays home now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.