500d?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by manzico, Dec 17, 2005.

1. My wife just got me the 70-200VR for christmas... see, I knew she was the greatest woman on earth. I should be getting it today (a little early I know, but we'll be traveling for the holidays) and I was wondering. I see a lot of people posting shots with their 70-200VR/Canon 500D close up lens combo. Is there any particular reason people gravitate to this adapter as opposed to one of the diopter adjustment adapters made by Nikon or others?

thanks,

Dave

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Could be size. Nikon only makes close-up lenses 52 mm and 62 mm diameter, the 70-200VR has 77 mm filter thread.

3. Other options?

I'm sure the 500D isn't the only show in town. How about this one:

B+W 77mm Close-up +4 (NL4) Lens (link below)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...150&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Apparently the 500D has two elements. I'm guessing the B+W has only one. I'm guessing that the fewer surface transitions the better. That would point the way to the B+W (along with its price). But the 500D apparently has two elements for achromatic reasons. Any input on these issues, I'm really not in familiar territory when it comes to close up adapters.

thanks,

Dave

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You are wrong in your logic. You definitively need the achromatic lens, which is the better one.

5. I understand...

I saw the logic in both... just needed the push in the right direction.

Thanks,

Dave

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dave :

I'm sure there are some alternatives to the 500D, but it's been one of the best compromises in many dimensions of diopters available, and not a terribly bad price. Have a look at the photos in this thread - https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=57251 - and see how they hold up for your needs.

As well, the 500D can be used on the 12-24mm and 28-70mm "Beast" quite nicely as it shares the 77mm filter thread size. I'll copy a couple of my examples in that thread here,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 77mm thread size can be neatly adapted for other lenses with step-up rings, so it's a pretty versatile diopter to acquire.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hi Dave - I have the B+W singlet close-up lenses. They work fine on my 24-120vr les, but when I tried the +3 on my 180mm f/2.8 it looked like it was a shot with a lens-baby! The center ... maybe 20% was not horrid, but the edges had super-coma, you know, that zoomy effect. Which is okay for special effects, but not for regular close-up photography.

8. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    As Bjorn pointed out, size does matter.

But if you're only using the diopter on a cropped Nikon digital and not film, and you're not planning on shooting macros near wide open at f2.8 or f4, the 62mm Nikon diopters are fine on a 77-62mm step down ring.

9. Looks like the 500D for me...

Thanks for all of the input everyone. It looks like, for reasons of chromatic aberation, I'll have to go for the 500D. I've heard a lot of good things so I'll have to order one... but after the holidays I think, too much travel, and too many presents to buy just now. Thanks again for all of the input.

Dave