500mm macro session

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Greg, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Actually used the 300 2.8 with the 1.7 tc.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the ISO and when back at the house found it set to 400. may try it again this weekend.

These do show some promise but man what a beast. Not something I would want to lug around the gardens. Working distance pretty go but not great.

Abstract
    [​IMG]

Mirror
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Greg:

These are awesome 8) #2 is a great capture! Any estimate what your working distance is? I'm trying to get an idea of how close I need to get to capture a butterfly.

Thanks!

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg,

Excellent shots. The 300 2.8 (with and w/o TC) makes a pretty darn good close-up lens, huh. 8) Only problem is that you've got to be very, very steady. The results speak for themselves though. :wink:

4. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Greg -

These are incredible captures. They look like they were taken with a macro! What range of distances did you shoot at? By coincidence I just posted some butterfly pix taken with my 300/4. The result was some pretty nice images (IMHO), but it was awkward backing up all the time to get into focus range. At least I was maneuverable with an easily hand-held lens. Did you hand-hold your beast? If you did, what gym do you go to?

Gordon

5. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    THanks for the comments. If I'm not mistaken the closest was about 6 feet. yup, had to back up several times. not much of a field setup. did have it on a gimbal mount on standard tripod.

If I try it again I may take the flash.

6. I have never thought of using my 300mm f2.8 lens as a close up lens. It is a heavy beast and not condusive to being hand held. You have done well and I may even give it a shot.

7. I really like #2! That is a great shot.